Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one of those songs that I'll never be happy with. Every time I think I am, I go back and listen to the original and get blown away by the amazingly smooth harmonies and crazy tone of the solo and feel like I have to try one more time. Here's what will probably end up being the final version... until I listen to the original again :lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hats off to Dunadan! I would be very proud if this was mine.
Have you done this all by yourself or did you use somebody else's backing track? Midi, right?
About that guitar tone: Is it possible that you have compressed it a bit too much or am I just imagining? This is of course a question of taste, if you like that way, then it's ok.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Karkki said:
Hats off to Dunadan! I would be very proud if this was mine.
Have you done this all by yourself or did you use somebody else's backing track? Midi, right?
About that guitar tone: Is it possible that you have compressed it a bit too much or am I just imagining? This is of course a question of taste, if you like that way, then it's ok.
I used a MIDI backing track and added arpeggiating acoustic and the electric guitar parts. I don't have any compression on the electric. It's my Epiphone Les Paul Studio going through a Korg amp modeller. I then used Cool Edit to apply some echo. My general impression is that it has too much treble; but the tone of the original solo seems to have lots of mid's while still retaining those crisp highs... just can't seem to reproduce it with what I have. Maybe I should grab my neighbor's Fender and see what I can do with it.

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
This is really good mate. The guitar tone is spooky on the first few notes of the solo - Very close to the original. Excellent all round. :thumb:

·
~Free Will~
6,028 Posts
Zone!!!..I was zoning too Riffy..lol..This was awesome job here..cant never get enough floyd!!!:thumb: :thumb:
Riff Addict said:
Dude, that was amazing. Thats my favorite Floyd song and you really got the feel down. I zoned out for a bit on that one! :icon_peac

·
Registered
200 Posts
Dunadan said:
I used a MIDI backing track and added arpeggiating acoustic and the electric guitar parts. I don't have any compression on the electric. It's my Epiphone Les Paul Studio going through a Korg amp modeller. I then used Cool Edit to apply some echo. My general impression is that it has too much treble; but the tone of the original solo seems to have lots of mid's while still retaining those crisp highs... just can't seem to reproduce it with what I have. Maybe I should grab my neighbor's Fender and see what I can do with it.
If you use a preset sound from your Korg there may be some compression involved even if you don’t use it on purpose. Your lead guitar sounds compressed to me, it lacks certain biting. And it seems that you think the same, if I understood what you meant. Using Fender instead of your Epi probably would help a bit.

About midi backing tracks: Midi keyboards usually sounds ok, but drums and bass sometimes sound a bit sterile and lame. There are a few things that can be done to make them more convincing. The midi track can be brought to a sequencer. If your soundcard supports soundfonts you can of course change drums and bass to better sounding ones.
If this is not possible even converting them to audio tracks is a good trick. Now you can polish bass and drums separately with audio effects. I’ve experimented this - some echo, eq, compression etc. might do miracles here.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Actually, the MIDI was recorded off my Audigy 2 with drum, bass, french horn, and strings soundbanks. I actually recorded the drums twice. The first time was using a really great acoustic drum kit soundfont. I wanted a little more power to the drums though, so I mixed it with a worse sounding but more powerful kit. Unfortunately the version of Cool Edit I use won't let me insert midi directly... and recording each midi channel into a separate wav file is pretty tedious :)

You may be right that the Korg modeler adds compression. What I meant is that there is no user-configurable compression effect.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts