Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Big Spliff (TBS). Was a Pink Floyd compilation album of ambient music compiled during the making of The Division Bell (TDB) album;

"In the 1990s, engineer Andy Jackson edited unused material from the Division Bell sessions, described by Mason as ambient music, into an hour-long composition tentatively titled The Big Spliff. Pink Floyd decided not to release it.Part of The Big Spliff was used to create Pink Floyd's fifteenth and final album, The Endless River and two tracks from the original sessions, "TBS9" and "TBS14", are included in the Deluxe Edition of the album." (Wikipedia)

Pink Floyd have released many recordings from TDB era and many Roio's exist too. But no one has attempted to create (roll) their own TBS album?! Have they?

There are some excellent mixes of material such as the one combining the two albums to create a unique blend of TDB and TER. (Pink Floyd Forever and Ever).

The Endless River (TER) was perhaps their take at such a project but is there another, unheard album hiding in the various releases? Official or otherwise?

I'm currently looking at gathering the resources needed to make such an endeavour as a crude mix, to infuriate people with greater skills than I to do a better job at this project because I will butcher it and I know the Floyd fans who are such purists will hound me to the ends of the earth.

But perhaps, first, to save my head, a simple list of out takes will suffice but to what end and where to start?

Perhaps, to my endless chargrin, I'm asking; what tracks and which source material would be needed for The Big Spliff project?

Is there anybody out there who has any suggestions?

I think I'd be most grateful for your scorn, hubris, insightful knowledge and passion in this Pink Floyd Pandora's box. Let's open it and see what pops out.

So far I suggest.

From The Later Years....

Unreleased 1994 studio recordings:

"Blues 1"
"Slippery Guitar"
"Rick's Theme"
"David's Blues"
"Marooned Jam"
"Nervana"
"High Hopes (Early Version)"

From The High Resolution Remasters

Calling Outake

Untitled Outtake 1
Untitled Outtake 2
Untitled Outtake 3
Untitled Outtake 4
Untitled Outtake 5
Untitled Outtake 6
Untitled Outtake 7

From Forever and Ever Bootleg

First In Space
Carnival Relations
Cluster One
Allons-y 1
Allons-y 2
Anisina

The Endless River deluxe edition

1. "TBS9"
2. "TBS14"
3. "Nervana"
4. "Anisina" (video) Gilmour 2:49
5. "Untitled" (video) Wright 1:22
6. "Evrika (A)" (video) Wright 5:58
7. "Nervana" (video) Gilmour 5:32
8. "Allons-y" (video) Gilmour 6:00
9. "Evrika (B)" (video) Wright 5:33

The Colours of Infinity.

https://soundcloud.com/bradhinds%2Fdavid-gilmour-the-colors-of-infinity
Cassette Edition of Pulse

Bonus track on the cassette edition
"Soundscape" (Gilmour, Wright, Mason) – 22:00
An ambient piece that was played before the 1994 concerts (available on THRR).

·
Registered
1 Posts
A very late response but there is plenty to be said on the matter. It is shame there have not been many large-scale attempts at reassembling what could be a TBS album of sorts. I can think of so many projects trying to assemble complete versions of The Wall with The Final Cut and so forth, but none relating to making a complete Big Spliff. There is so much material to work with remaking TBS, and if I recall correctly, all of TBS sessions were filmed, supposedly totaling up to 8 hours worth of music (I do not recall the source I read this from, so take this with a grain of salt). I attempted this myself, combining the pieces alongside The Division Bell itself, and resulted in a good 3 or 4-ish hours of moderately concise audio (as much as I could get it to flow at least). Funny enough, I was unaware of the High-Resolution Remasters or what the Forever and Ever bootleg is, so I imagine my attempt is incomplete too.

The only other attempt I've seen besides my own comes from the Soundcloud user of Nasnandos, under the name of The Endless River discs 5-6. It does not compile too many resources, however, It is a nice extension to The Endless River, showcasing other TBS audio. Nasnandos has a decent amount of recordings from TBS, alongside other resources that could fit into the project.

The Colours of Infinity link is a good resource, the source of it is a bit skeptical though when it comes to whether it was truly a part of TBS. The source of that comes from 2 (maybe 3?) films: Ruby Takes A Trip and The Colours of Infinity, and Fractals. for some reason, both used those same songs in each soundtrack. The soundtrack itself is solely credited to David Gilmour, so who knows if it is truly a part of TBS. I chose to include it in mine, solely because I like the sound.

The La Carrera Panamericana soundtrack, although technically not a part of TBS, is worth checking out. The songs don't sound too much like what you would normally hear from TBS, but the "Theme" tracks from the soundtrack (country theme, small theme, big theme) bear an eerie resemblance to Anisina, both having the same musical motif (I don't think riff is the right word but something like that)

A few bootlegs contain various demos that are worth hearing: A Treefull of Secrets and Secret Rarities have a few good demos, although nothing too out of the ordinary. Treefull contains segments of the Ruby/Colours soundtrack, however, the link present in your post is a much better source.

The Endless River film also supposedly has a few track extensions. On the Pink Floyd youtube post about the movie, an extended version of Calling can be heard --> (108) Pink Floyd's The Endless River - Directed by Ian Emes (9 Minute Extract) #4K - YouTube

Besides the bootlegs, La Carrera Panamericana, and Nasnandos's work, I know of nothing else that may help in the project.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A very late response but there is plenty to be said on the matter. It is shame there have not been many large-scale attempts at reassembling what could be a TBS album of sorts. I can think of so many projects trying to assemble complete versions of The Wall with The Final Cut and so forth, but none relating to making a complete Big Spliff. There is so much material to work with remaking TBS, and if I recall correctly, all of TBS sessions were filmed, supposedly totaling up to 8 hours worth of music (I do not recall the source I read this from, so take this with a grain of salt). I attempted this myself, combining the pieces alongside The Division Bell itself, and resulted in a good 3 or 4-ish hours of moderately concise audio (as much as I could get it to flow at least). Funny enough, I was unaware of the High-Resolution Remasters or what the Forever and Ever bootleg is, so I imagine my attempt is incomplete too.

The only other attempt I've seen besides my own comes from the Soundcloud user of Nasnandos, under the name of The Endless River discs 5-6. It does not compile too many resources, however, It is a nice extension to The Endless River, showcasing other TBS audio. Nasnandos has a decent amount of recordings from TBS, alongside other resources that could fit into the project.

The Colours of Infinity link is a good resource, the source of it is a bit skeptical though when it comes to whether it was truly a part of TBS. The source of that comes from 2 (maybe 3?) films: Ruby Takes A Trip and The Colours of Infinity, and Fractals. for some reason, both used those same songs in each soundtrack. The soundtrack itself is solely credited to David Gilmour, so who knows if it is truly a part of TBS. I chose to include it in mine, solely because I like the sound.

The La Carrera Panamericana soundtrack, although technically not a part of TBS, is worth checking out. The songs don't sound too much like what you would normally hear from TBS, but the "Theme" tracks from the soundtrack (country theme, small theme, big theme) bear an eerie resemblance to Anisina, both having the same musical motif (I don't think riff is the right word but something like that)

A few bootlegs contain various demos that are worth hearing: A Treefull of Secrets and Secret Rarities have a few good demos, although nothing too out of the ordinary. Treefull contains segments of the Ruby/Colours soundtrack, however, the link present in your post is a much better source.

The Endless River film also supposedly has a few track extensions. On the Pink Floyd youtube post about the movie, an extended version of Calling can be heard --> (108) Pink Floyd's The Endless River - Directed by Ian Emes (9 Minute Extract) #4K - YouTube

Besides the bootlegs, La Carrera Panamericana, and Nasnandos's work, I know of nothing else that may help in the project.

Thanks for your very detailed reply. I thought I'd found a lot of the material, but it's a confusing mix of overlapping takes. I think the La Carrera and Colours material was overdubbing of TBS era music that is available on the high resolution remasters series. I think I will go back to the edit I was working on with this information
As you say, it's surprising no one has ever tackled this project but maybe not! It's very difficult to even collate all the material. That said, the Pink Floyd fans are incredibly talented and dedicated people, producing quality releases that put the music companies to shame. Harvested produced such amazing releases, it's my opinion, they were the impetus for the official releases of archives material.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Big Spliff parts one and two appears to me to be already available to everybody on youtube. It is released under the name of Astoria Council who don't come up in any searches. The clue came to me in the name Astoria which is David Gilmour's houseboat recording studio where later Pink Floyd albums inc The Big Spliff were recorded. Check it out. Two beautiful ambient albums that could be Pink Floyd????

1 - 4 of 4 Posts