Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title says it all. I found out I can play about 30% more accurate and around 50-80% faster while playing with my index finger's nail just like it's a pick. I even hold invisible pick between my thumb and index finger for extra control. It feels so natural and the way It should be I just can't stop. Is there a reason I shouldn't play like that all the time and just forget about picks ? I have pretty thick nails so when I grow it a little longer to let's say half of the flamenco guitarist's nails there's gonna be almost no difference in tone.

What do you think about that ? I've tried dozens of way to hold a pick and it always seems uncomfortable and "limiting".

·
Registered
1 Posts
Kiryx,
I've been playing somewhat like that for years, I don't use my nail as much as the very tip of my finger and i also hold the imaginary pick, I never figured it was wrong. If it works for you, who cares how you do it. Besides it works very well for Lindsey Buckingham. Just my $0.02 worth.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I do that all the time. I use a pick for metal but im constantly changing between thickness and also hold the pick sidways and backwards and many angles. For cleaner music I usually fingerpick or use the invisible pick that you mentioned. Practice both but using pick and not using one. Both have theyre strengths and weaknesses so why not master it all?

If it really feels that comfortable to you than definately stick with it for a while. You can do some amazing stuff such as picking chords and plucking strings with thumb or index at the same time to get the feel of 2 guitars playing at once which I love. There are many great guitarists out there who dont use picks. Check out some Mark Knopfler solos and youll see how fast and accurate you can pick just using your fingers.

Another thing to try is for strumming chords, use 3-4 fingers to "sweep" the chord almost as if your hand is a broom. For certain chords it gives it a really smooth feel. There is so much you can do with your right hand so experiment with everything.

·
Registered
143 Posts
A recent example of non-pick playing is Richie Kotzen. Check out Youtube for his new band 'The Winery Dogs', which includes Billy Sheehan and Mike Portnoy. In their videos, you can see him soloing without a pick.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts