Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
the main thing that will destroy a neck is exposure to extreme moisture and heat. ive never heard those other myths.

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
I don't string my guitars with the ball ends on the head stock becuase I think it is ugly as shit.

I do hang my guitars and have for several years without any problems. And consider just about any music store also hangs their guitars and don't have issues either.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
As long as theres not any pressure or weight exerted on the neck while its in the stand it should be fine. its when you lean it up against something for long periods of time that it can possibly warp a neck. The problem with most goose neck stands is that they easily fall over due to a high center of gravity.
Stands that have a latex or rubber contact surface can leave residue on your neck or body if left for long periods of time also.
In agreement with EJ on the ball end question. asides from tuning problems. I looks like shit.
VB

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
There was a whole thread about this once a while ago. Basically, the guitar strings are thicker at the ball end, thinner at the other end.

So stringing them with the ball end at the headstock is the wrong way round. Can cause tuning problems and string breakage.

I didn't believe this at first, but gave it a go. Definitely seems to stay in tune for longer, and I have less string breakage, especially since I now apply the Ej "Wash your hands before pkaying, soap does wonders" mod.

:thumb:

Takes a little while longer to string, but it looks better and stays in tune better. Definitely worth the extra time as far as I am concerned !

:thumb:

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
it shouldnt have. there are no manufacturers that recommend stringing from the peg to the bridge. someone else was lazy and did it that way.
it should be strung with the ballend to the bridge and the leader to the tuning pegs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.