Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Musician
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it? would this be a better choice, as individual pedals can add up in price.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nothing, in my opinion, beats individual pedals, besides pricey rackmounts. Having said that, I use my POD XT to record everything, but stick to individual pedals for shows.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Nothing, in my opinion, beats individual pedals, besides pricey rackmounts. Having said that, I use my POD XT to record everything, but stick to individual pedals for shows.

yes nothing beats out pedals. ill tell you why .first they dont get locked in the tuner mode when you try to hit the distortion for lead(ok so i got big feet) 2nd you only have 1 distortion at a time.(i use a big muff,boss sd-1 overdrive,boss tuner,double muff, rocktron metal planet digitech multi chorus,& synthwah,and a sib mr echo) i can set all these up differently to dial in whatever the set calls for without changing patches.petals have more balls and sound better through a tube amp.on the other hand processors are mighty handy around the computer when recording at home with headphones

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Show me a processor with a really good wah ;) I agree with the sentiments expressed above. Nothing beats a good stomp box but it is all about convenience at the end of the day. What multi fx units do well is provide you with more options than you will ever need and most of the sounds are pretty convincing even if they do sound a little "processed." The delays are normally very good, as are the chorus and other tone shaping elements that are more common with rack fx. But a good distortion is rare (although wahwah seems to get great tones from his pod) and a good Wah effect is rare as rocking horse shit. Nothing beats a Cry Baby or a Morley imo.

·
Axe Grinding Guitarist
3,114 Posts
I feel for the price of the xt live,, the unit has tons of stompbox effects that easily give you alot of effects right in 1 nice unit. That alone said,, this xt live is worth the money just for what ya get in that department. I feel that if your gonna spend money,, your looking at spending alot more in stompbox pedals,, and some are old ones thnat are hard to find and cost more,, and they are in the xt live. like the chandler tube driver persay. It really boils down to what ya wanna do for yourself. I have a few stompboxes that I still use,, But overall, you sure get alot in the xtlive that really sounds great as well. Also,, your gonna be runnin alot more little cords that you will need when you get all the pedals ya want. With the xt live,, all ya need is one cord and one to guitar:icon_thum

·
Registered
98 Posts
To me it it depends on two main issues.

1. How much you change your sound from song to song and set to set.

2. How much of a purist you are.

If you are a purist, you are going to go through more hassle to record, and at the end of the day, there is no guarantee that it will sound better; there are so many variables.

That being said, if you have one or two main sounds and thats it, you can eventually define a process for getting what you want.

If you change your sound a lot, It is really tasty to use something like the POD XT Live (I luv mine).

For me, I found that I needed a TON of pedals to achieve some sounds. Then modifying that sound between songs was a nightmare. This was a big issue, because we were playing anything from Doobie Bros to Police to Rush [obviously I am really OLD :) ]. It was a nightmare. Also, my power requirements were significant. Lots of cords and batteries to cause problems.

Hope that helps.

Peace,

===========
Legato

1 - 6 of 6 Posts