Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going in to Guitar Center tommorow probably to play both, but which modeler has the more convincing models?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dude, go for the pod xt!!! It wins hands down, unless you have zero interest in high gain amp models, in which case they are about even tone wise. But the pod offers so much more, and if you get the model packs (which i reccommend) then you will have like 76 amps and 80 effects!!

·
Banned
156 Posts
Unlike the masses i'm going to tell you something: The Tonelab has tubes in it. The pod xt doesnt. That's enough for me to choose the lab. But make up your own mind. You really shouldn't rely on what any of us tell you. Try them both out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I already have a digitech RP80, and it's tone kind of sucks. What I'm looking for is something with good models, I'm going for quality over quantity. All I'm interested in is having Fender Blackface, Mesa Dual Rectifier, and Marshall JCM2000 channels

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
Consider that the POD XT has loads of support on the web. There are sights to download presets. One that comes to mind is www.instituteofnoise.com. I have the XT and am thrilled at my blackface tone which I custom made and is up for download here (click my profile and then the "boombox" icon for all the posts I have made. The preset is there as well as the tune done with it. That's what I call my Fender Blackface Priceton Reverb patch. Also, the tube in the vox would not persuade me as I have Chandler Tube Driver with a tube. It's a preamp tube. They typically give you a "buzzy" type distortion and we all know the "great tones" of a tube amp come from it's power tubes. I agree however, use your ears to gauge what's best for you. I would keep in mind the support options available with the XT. Perhaps the Vox has one. I am not sure. The Line 6 stuff has lots. My opinion anyways....

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
Lydian said:
Unlike the masses i'm going to tell you something: The Tonelab has tubes in it. The pod xt doesnt. That's enough for me to choose the lab. But make up your own mind. You really shouldn't rely on what any of us tell you. Try them both out.
This has been debated on several forums by guys who are sound engineers. Both are great at what they are built to do. Yes, the Vox has a tube pre. The price is more expensive and the upgrade path falls far short of what Line 6 offers. The vox wins on some cleaner amp models, the xt, with packs and version 2.01, wins on the high gain modellers. The choice should be made by what sounds best to the person who intendeds to buy either. I would personally go for the XT Live because it sounds great, is much cheaper than the vox and is less expensive than buying a pod xt then getting a shortboard for live playing. I don't think you'll be disappointed with either. They are all good. I just have to give Line 6 kudos for the constant upgrades and support for the XT line...

Not taking a shot at you Lydian, so don't get offended, but to simply chime in with the "going against the masses" bullshit just because it has a PREAMP tube in it is a bullshit answer and doesn't really help the guy. All these badboys cost between 300-600 bucks so a wise decision should be made before plopping down the hard earned cash. Of note, a new firmware release is due out any time now, v2.10, for the podxt to give it the same features of the XT Live. The LAST upgrade to the 2.x series gave us pod owners the SAME patches in their top of the line Vetta amp (a couple of grand alone). How the fuck is THAT for support of customers? Line 6 sets the standards, the others ride their coattails with cheaper copies of their tech. I returned the Vox after several days. I was more than willing to keep both but it just didn't sound better enuff to keep it.

·
Banned
156 Posts
"Not taking a shot at you Lydian, so don't get offended, but to simply chime in with the "going against the masses" bullshit just because it has a PREAMP tube in it is a bullshit answer and doesn't really help the guy." Well anyone that knows anything should know that real disortion comes from tubes. :) And it IS true that "the masses" think Pods are the best Fx unit ever, which just isn't the case. There's many options out there. However, i refuse to tell anyone "this is what you should choose". They sould use their own ears and eyes and pocket. Note: Maybe sometimes the best sound is from an amplifier.

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
He's talking about a modeller and it's not just from the preamp tubes but from all the tubes in the chain that you get your sweetass tube sound. If you want an amp you don't buy a modeller.

I never stated that the podxt was the BEST. I said best for the money as far as what they give you. Also, my statement to you wasn't a shot but quite valid, having used both products that he mentioned I can offer him some advise. You never stated you used either but just rattled off an opinion based simply on the fact that the Vox uses a single preamp tube. It looks like we're back where we started again, huh? You just cannot have it any other way than your own and you always have to go against the grain just to do so and for no other point. I guess at this rate it won't be long before your lovely charms piss the "masses" off again.

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Try both and pick the one you feel best with...the valves mean nothing; it's a gimmicky thing to make you feel you're getting something 'vintage' but your ears are gonna tell you. Once they do, make the choice.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
I think what you have to consider is what you need the unit for. As this is a forum called, "Amp Modeling", then I really don't see why the arguement of getting a REAL amp is being brought up in here... :scratch:

But anyway, getting back on track. I had an amp, but in my circumstances, I could never, ever get a good tone out of it. Why ? Because of how and where I lived and who I lived with meant that I could never turn it up in order to get the tone I required.

I now have a POD xt and it more than suits my needs. I now have great tone whenever I need, without disturbing anyone else, and I can get that same tone I hear recorded directly into my computer !

I've never tried nor heard of the Vox Tonelab, so can't comment on that at all. But the POD xt is great. Sure, it's expensive, but if the price puts you off, take a look at Behringer's V-AMP products.

But, bear in mind, POD xt is one of Line6's flagships. They provide constant support and updates and there are patches all over the place for it.

But, at the end of the day, since you have the opportunity to play them both, then let yourself be the one to decide which one sounds best to you !

·
Banned
156 Posts
"It looks like we're back where we started again, huh? You just cannot have it any other way than your own and you always have to go against the grain just to do so and for no other point." Not at all. I made my own points. Maybe you should think about the fact that it works both ways. Honestly my answer to the guys question is: Don't get either. "processors" do jus that. "process". your sound will be too "processed" and youll be using bass and treble frequencies that a guitar isnt even supposed to create. I myself use a rackmount unit as a processor, and the sounds are GREAT, but I still have to realize that it is "processed". It isn't a real guitar sound that comes out of the thing. May as well be a keybaord. Takes all the warmth out of your tone, no matter what processor it is. If you want a natural guitar tone, don't get any such thing. Get a good amp. If you want cool fx, get a processor.

·
Banned
156 Posts
I'd rather be real about it then pretend to agree with everyone. Sorry. I guess i'll just never say my opinion, and never try to point ppl in the right direction. But youd like it that way wouldnt you? :)

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
I ain't gonna get into a petty arguement with you, BrainPolice, but I thought you might of learnt from when you "left" the site for good the first time.

Dante originally posted
I'm going in to Guitar Center tommorow probably to play both, but which modeler has the more convincing models?
Which really confuses me as to why the whole debate of real amps was started by you. An Amp modelling question in an Amp Modelling forum. Am I making my point clear now ?

:wutblau:

·
Banned
156 Posts
Sure. I'm not looking for an arguement. But look who really starts these things - you! I posted my opinion. Then someone like you has to get "offended" and say something. Then I say something back, and you wonder why, because you further provoked me to say something. Anyways, there's no debate going on here. You let me say my thoughts, I let you say your thoughts. End of case. P.S. Without people like me and Dannyboy, everyone would agree on everything most of the time and the site would be pretty dull that way to be honest. :)

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
The site has gone through a huge change and a second chance was given to you. I guess it was too much to hope that with the board change and name change that there might be a change in attitude ? Still, at least there were no dancing bananas (yet).

Anyway, Dante, I'm guessing that you got to go down and try them both out. I hope you managed to come to a decision and went with whatever your ears told you was the best !

:thumb:

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
As stated numerous times, this forum is for AMP MODELLING.

I have a question though that just begs to be asked and it doesn't even concern amp modelling. Please tell me so I, and others, can understand the thought process. Why would you come back to hang out on a forum where everyone can't stand you? What is it with you and others like you that causes an unresistable need deep inside to hang amongst people who think you are a total twat?

Actually, direct your response to others because as of this writing you are on the ignore list, like before.

Once a twat always a twat. Eric should rethink his second chance policy...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.