Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Bulletman 
#1 ·
What's the difference between the regular Pod and the Pod xt for guitar? Is there a big difference?
I'm thinking of getting one and see alot of the regular pods on ebay for pretty cheap!!

Bman

#3 ·
PODxt besides other things is USB connectable. This means not having to connect by midi leads, the data transfers when downloading stuff is quick and effective, the patches and tones are tweaked more than the regular POD...and the upgrades are superb. There is a 3 pack upgrade of effects, amp models and tones that was all there for $99. Not sure if this is still the case but as value for money, it was superb as it pretty much doubled the capacity of everything.

Hope this helps.

#4 ·
And another thing....you don't need a soundcard with the XT...it's built in and it's a GOOD one perfectly matched for the unit. I would spend the extra $$ and get the XT over the 2.0 if you plan on recording with it......but the 2.0 is a fine piece of gear for the price!

#6 ·
Bulletman said:
Thanks VHfan & WahWah
What do ya think of running it direct at a gig? Less to move!!
It sounds like a better unit for the money and the usb thing is great!!

Bman
That's a tough one. I could never get as good a live sounds out of one as I did with a box of pedals....but I never tried real hard either.

I just went with the Vetta HD and it works well for everything.

#7 ·
with the old kidney bean pods dont come with a foot switch or floor board attachment so if thats somthing you can live with out you will be happy with the unit but i had the old unit and after about 3 weeks bought the $60.00 foot switch then after about a year got the $200.00 floor board for live playing. now after hearing the new live unit i sold my old stuff and got that. i am so much happier now. no extra cables, i can see what patch i have going when i look down. and about a thousand other reasons. dont try and save money by going cheep up front. just get the live thing and stop trying to over think it.

#8 ·
bstew76713 said:
with the old kidney bean pods dont come with a foot switch or floor board attachment so if thats somthing you can live with out you will be happy with the unit but i had the old unit and after about 3 weeks bought the $60.00 foot switch then after about a year got the $200.00 floor board for live playing. now after hearing the new live unit i sold my old stuff and got that. i am so much happier now. no extra cables, i can see what patch i have going when i look down. and about a thousand other reasons. dont try and save money by going cheep up front. just get the live thing and stop trying to over think it.
I have the XT with the Shortboard. I like keeping the unit off the floor and I like the Shortboard better than the XT Live. Personal preference I guess. I have half the patches set for live and half tweaked for recording. It sounds very good live through my Classic 30 using the FX Loop and keeping the amp from coloring the sound. It also sounds very good through the loop on my old Randall solid state RG50.

I say go for the XT (live or bean). There are so many choices now that all are pretty damn good. I think Line 6 offers better and more frequent upgrades to keep the unit fresh, there are the optional model packs to buy, and Custom Tone has more patches submitted by users and folks at Line 6 than any other manufacturer. You weigh all the factors and decide for yourself.

#9 ·
bstew
Thanks for the response on my post about the pods. I have a question about the pod xt live that you have. Is it the same as the Bean pod xt as in all the same models and effects and such or are they different? I want get one but the live xt seems the way to go to use at gigs if it's the same as the pod bean xt.
Thanks man.

Bulletman

#12 ·
They are the same but the Live xt has a little more to it. Go to line6.com and read up on it. It has the same models and effects. I'm going to get one tomorrow at guitar center. The guy said he would give me a better deal than 399.00 .....we'll see what he does and I'll let ya's know!! See, the thing here is that we lost our practice space so we're going to run everything into a mixer and then to headphones so we can practice quietly so the neighbors don't get pissed. Our drummer just purchased a Roland V series kit so no more loud drums to piss the neighbors off. Bottom line is,.. we still can practice new tunes at a kick ass volume without pissing people off. So I'm going to use the Live xt for this purpose plus record with it also. If it sounds really good I may gig with it too. It's alot lighter than a 90lb amp that I gig with plus the extention cab that is 75lbs. I tired of lugging this crap!!

Bman

#13 ·
One bad thing about XT Live, and it makes very little senseto me. I have owned all 3 variants of the XT by the way. XT Live only has unbalanced outs. It makes no sense because of the XT (bean), XT Pro and XT Live, the XT Live is the one you are MOST likely to show up at a gig with and run long cables to the PA/snake. The bean used balanced (TRS) and the Pro has XLR.

No matter for me, the only odeler I currently use is the TLSE, and I cannot say enough good things about it; but I may never have actually gotten a TLSE is the XTL had TRS outs.......

#14 ·
Thanks for the heads up on that. I did a search on the unbalanced outputs on the PODXT LIVE and wasn't able to find any people that found it to be an issue or a problem (yet) and that it is not real reason not to buy it, although everyone is scratching their heads on why they did not put balanced outputs on the PODXTL

#15 · (Edited)
Well. I got it!! XT Live! Very cool machine! I was a little takin by it when I first opened the box...but after a hour with it...it's pretty simple to run and with the edit sofware it's really easy to put together some great amps and effects. I dig the stomp boxes it has. the univibe is awesome...it sounds just like the original. Robin Trower fans with like this one. I also purchased the addons from the Line6 web site. I got the metal pack and the classic pack. They are definitely worth the money.
All in all ya have everything ya need to record and use it live. Just great!!
BTW..I got a good deal...349.00 out the door and no tax!!
Still got alot of tweakin to do...so I'll be back!!

Bman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.