Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wasn't sure if this belonged in the 'covers' or 'originals' section, as it is sort of a hybird. I took Vai's 'Boston Rain Melody' and came up my own arrangement for the backing, with a tip-of-the-hat to Vai.

Thanks for listening :thumb:
-dc

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
That was fucking badass bro!! I couldnt ever perform an improvised killer solo for this song as you just did. Its so refreshing to hear your rendition and i think is cooler than Vai´s original song, really. 1st class. Let me be the first one to qualify this jewel with 5 stars.:afro:

·
Premium Member
5,555 Posts
Wow DrCode I have been here for a while and I have listened to a LOT of songs in my time. But this one just grabbed out at me and I have to say this is one of the top 3 songs I have ever heard on this site. Your improv was just tremendous. The only thing was some of the effects at the beginning gave me some crackling in the speakers (no one needs to tell me it was thunder either lol ). Guitar levels were great and the flow and tone you used were awesome. I usually don't write this much (I feel like my buddy KC ha ha ) but you have really done a great track here and deserve huge props!

·
Yeah, so what?
1,562 Posts
Awesome playing there, I also remember the original, and like this one even better, :mix: Very nice job.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the kind words and for taking the time to listen, Mike and BleedingPinky, it's much appreciated :)
-dc

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
wow, cool take on this track DrCode, awsome stuff dude!!
agree with the others on this vs original, superb tone, flow & articulation, worth more than 5 stars for sure ;)

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Very beautiful...especially liked the slowburn of your pickups up to about 00:50. The rest was awesome as well but that beginning rules as it's not a Vai tone but your own single coil type thing.

Brilliant playing and production. :thumb:

BTW, don't know the original but would love a copy of the backing to try and make something of it if you have it? :thumb:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks a lot for listening and commenting, Slob and wahwah!

wahwah, check your PM re: the backing. yeah, I love that single-coil sound too - it's actually the stock middle single-coil of my Ibanez PGM30 and half of a Dimarzio ToneZone (you know, the pickup selector is between the middle and bridge position). Then turn the volume pot way down and it cleans up and gets nice and jangly. oh, and if you do anything with this tune, let me know, I'd love to hear your interpretation :rock:

-dc

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
I am not a massive vai fan but I absolutely love your playing. have done for a while. this is beautiful especially from 2:00 onwards. very tactile and purposeful. Really quite beautiful and the octaves are just so sweet. Respect.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts