Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bit of background to this first - a few months ago a friend of mine with a studio asked if I'd do some session work for him. It was for a local man, a farmer aged about 60, who had decided he wanted to make a CD! He wanted it just guitar and voice, with him singing, of course. I was hesitant at first, but thought what the hell, I'll do it for the fun. The songs were a selection of country, folk and jazz standards so it turned out to be quite a challenge to cover all those styles. The man turned out to have a damn good voice with a real earthy quality and me and my friend were well pleased with the results. Anyway, here's one of the jazzy tunes, Portrait of my Love. There are two guitars, both of which are the ES-175 model in my Variax recorded through a POD XTLive straight to the board. I know this won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I like it...

http://www.stuartneville.co.uk/portrait_of_my_love.mp3

·
Da Blooze Guy
5,842 Posts
If this aint someone's cup of tea, then they just don't like music. This is just great, beautiful guitar work there. And that farmer sounds like cross between Al Jolson and Bing Crosby.............my dad used to listen to both of them, I'm not that old.:shock:

·
Valhalla is coming !!!!!
2,388 Posts
Well its my cup of tea dude . class post , gorgeous tones , he sings like Bing and Perry together great voice indeed . Really enjoyed this . mellow playing , and a real good vocal sound ! :thumb:

·
I GARAWWWNTEE!!!!!
1,799 Posts
Wonderful stuff here Charvel:thumb: ...... elegantly played.... and the tones!!!! I may seriously have to consider the Variax for myself!!! Excellent mix as well, really had that quality of yesteryear..... and the vocals!!, I know it's been said but, the ole' boy has definitly got his chops together!!! Bing all the way!! Would really like to hear some more of this for sure!!! Quality post my friend!!:icon_peac

·
Lead Kazoo-ist
1,432 Posts
This is really fantastic. Been going through tons of wedding songs over the past months, getting married in 3 1/2 weeks... where was this tune? Who does the original? Really beautiful. If the gentlemen who approached you (singer) wanted to make back some of his money for the recording time, I would highly suggest marketing it in the wedding industry. Could really see this as a bride and groom dance song, or even a father daughter song. Stunning recording.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Charvel2....this is a nice post! This is exceptional...loved the guitars...jazz smooth and tight. I really like this guys voice too...he has a quality there that goes beyond just pitch and tone. Some of the best singers just have a tonal quality going on there...I like it man. A big complement to you with the guitars on this one though man....I am greatly impressed. :thumb:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wigrocks said:
This is really fantastic. Been going through tons of wedding songs over the past months, getting married in 3 1/2 weeks... where was this tune? Who does the original? Really beautiful. If the gentlemen who approached you (singer) wanted to make back some of his money for the recording time, I would highly suggest marketing it in the wedding industry. Could really see this as a bride and groom dance song, or even a father daughter song. Stunning recording.
On this side if the Atlantic this song would be associated mostly with Matt Munroe. I think somebody else had a hit with it in the States first, though.

Thanks to all for the kind comments on this! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.