Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fantastic soundboard show, released this year as part of the Sign O' The Times Super Deluxe Set. Sadly, the audio speed of the recording in the set isn't correct, running too slow. Also, the overall recording sounds a bit flat and lifeless.

I've corrected the speed, and added some air to the recording.

Enjoy!

https://www.4shared.com/s/fyZ1p_3rHiq

·
Registered
22 Posts
Obviously, I have to thank you as I used some humor in playfully bashing your previous
MP3 upload. The 4shared site has so many pop ups and ads and things, I thought I was
back in 2002 when pop ups were harder to avoid than a Soloflex Commercial/Infomercial back in the 90's. So guess I'm complaining again. But still, can't wait to hear this speed
corrected!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Obviously, I have to thank you as I used some humor in playfully bashing your previous
MP3 upload. The 4shared site has so many pop ups and ads and things, I thought I was
back in 2002 when pop ups were harder to avoid than a Soloflex Commercial/Infomercial back in the 90's. So guess I'm complaining again. But still, can't wait to hear this speed
corrected!
:grin:

·
Registered
491 Posts
This seems like a good place to ask this, does anyone have an audio rip of the 12/31/87 DVD that was in the recently released sign o the times box set?

·
Registered
22 Posts
A simple way you can check this is by comparing the pitch of ALL the tracks compared to their original studio versions. It's a fact. No myth whatsoever.
An even simpler way to do this is to listen to every show you have on the this tour. I have around 10, used to have the entire tour before a hard drive crash. When I listen to portions of all the shows I have, and then put on the
Utrecht show, there is a tiny difference.
This is not easy to explain. The average person has normal average ears, I would grade their hearing as 85/100. Great hearing is 90/100 or higher. Engineers ears are usually 97/100. I am probably 95/100. I can hear footsteps further away than most. Not quite a freak, but I hear quite well. Most people cannot tell the difference between MP3 and FLAC. I can usually. But a 320 MP3 file is pretty good quality, but I can usually tell which is which.
The Utrecht show does sound slow to my ears comparing it to the SOTT movie, the 6-17 Paris show, the 12/31 DVD audio, and the great Vienna Audience recordings. How slow? I would assume most with average hearing can't tell the difference. On my first listen, I thought they somehow picked a show where Prince was the least inspired of any SOTT show for sure. I figured out it was maybe 1.5% slow, even the speed corrected version shows it is perhaps just a flat show, but a tiny bit slow as released.

Michael Howe is not really a fan, and quality control on the box set was pretty bad. 1999 was about as much as a home run as you could expect from a stooge like him, but as awesome as SOTT Super is, too many key missing tracks, the speed issue, and a few other mastering flaws, and worst of all, not having the basic understanding that physical discs need to be protected, not in some thing where they get glued to the book, and get all scratched up.
And yes, Michael Howe likely had little to do with the book, but come on,
seriously, Howe & The Stooges could have done better with Prince's best
album.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
An even simpler way to do this is to listen to every show you have on the this tour. I have around 10, used to have the entire tour before a hard drive crash. When I listen to portions of all the shows I have, and then put on the
Utrecht show, there is a tiny difference.
This is not easy to explain. The average person has normal average ears, I would grade their hearing as 85/100. Great hearing is 90/100 or higher. Engineers ears are usually 97/100. I am probably 95/100. I can hear footsteps further away than most. Not quite a freak, but I hear quite well. Most people cannot tell the difference between MP3 and FLAC. I can usually. But a 320 MP3 file is pretty good quality, but I can usually tell which is which.
The Utrecht show does sound slow to my ears comparing it to the SOTT movie, the 6-17 Paris show, the 12/31 DVD audio, and the great Vienna Audience recordings. How slow? I would assume most with average hearing can't tell the difference. On my first listen, I thought they somehow picked a show where Prince was the least inspired of any SOTT show for sure. I figured out it was maybe 1.5% slow, even the speed corrected version shows it is perhaps just a flat show, but a tiny bit slow as released.

Michael Howe is not really a fan, and quality control on the box set was pretty bad. 1999 was about as much as a home run as you could expect from a stooge like him, but as awesome as SOTT Super is, too many key missing tracks, the speed issue, and a few other mastering flaws, and worst of all, not having the basic understanding that physical discs need to be protected, not in some thing where they get glued to the book, and get all scratched up.
And yes, Michael Howe likely had little to do with the book, but come on,
seriously, Howe & The Stooges could have done better with Prince's best
album.
Interesting analysis but to be honest my hearing is probably under 85/100 right now and even if I have listened to a lot of SOTT concerts in various qualities since 1987 I won't be in position to tell you if it runs too slow or not...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts