Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang,

I've read the instructions on how to invert the left stereo channel then convert both tracks to Mono to strip out vocals and create a backing track. And I'm wondering if the same thing can be applied to my Joe Satriani Instrumental CD's?

I tried it and it does work.Only in reverse from what I need.
No matter which channel I invert. The result is always the same. I end up getting the guiitar track with no drums.

Is there a way to get the drums and bass track instead?
If I can single out the guitar track. It's only logical to me that I should be able to do the reverse. And remove the lead guitar track.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks
-ScottA

·
Registered
515 Posts
Never played myself with these techniques but... if you managed to isolate what's largely only guitar, can't you substract it from the original? maybe you need to reverse the phase and then mix... I don't know... but it seems to me you're almost there.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I've been messing with this method for a long time with some success. It's mostly used to remove vocals since they are usually panned right down the middle....but if you're doing an instrumental then the guitars are usually panned left and right...with the lead down the middle. Also, Satriani's tunes have alot of of reverb that bleeds throughout the tracks, making a sucessful BT creation almost impossible. You'll find that you'll have alot more sucess with older tracks. Todays mixing and mastering techniques kinda put an end to to this trick

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought "invert" was revese phase?
These Tech terms are confusing.

I was hoping that someone would know how I could "subtract" the mono guitar mixdown from the original stereo file.

ScottA

P.S.- I never understood why these instrumental players never sold there backing tracks. It seems like a great second source of cash for them. And it's no extra work. The tracks are done anyway.

G

·
Yeah, Scott.

I've tried removing lead guitar from songs in a professional digital studio. It's hopeless 90% of the time (depending on the song) without losing other instruments.

I've written to George Lynch, Eric Johnson, and others, about backing tracks. Lynch's instrumentals are NOWHERE to be found in backing-track-land... and he's so "pro-lesson" on his web site, you'd think he'd offer them. But if none of these guys are selling their own original tracks, there must be some legal reason why. They always have to be re-recorded and sold by some other, unrelated party. Who knows. They won't answer me about it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts