Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Captain DB... Savvy ?
3,523 Posts
that looks cool man . not really original as such . but im guessing thats exactly the kinda thing you were wanting .. what kinda neck you gonna put on it ? 1 peice maple ? 22 fret ? :p . should look nice man ... floyd rose trem too ?
divebomb heaven lol

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Awesome job on the stipes VB, can't wait to see it all put together and can't wait to hear it as well!!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heres what I did Mond. its pretty simple.
I prepped an old body that was previously painted by roughing the clear coat with 120 grit paper. Made sure it was clear of dust and shot the whole thing in Black with about 4 coats.
I use a quick drying paint thats workable in about 20 minutes or less. I masked off the black I wanted for stripes and then shot the whole thing in with 4 coats gloss white. Once the white was dry I masked off what I wanted for white stripes. and left the black stripes masked off as well. The final coats were Fire Red. I let it set for about 6 hours to dry and removed all the masking. with so many intersections the tape literally comes off in layers at times. I then shot it in 6 coats of Clear Poly. For masking I use regular household masking tape in 3/4" width and cut any smaller pieces I need from it.
I will probably buff it out eventually, but I prefer a more dull appearance.
hope this helps ya
Keith
VGB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts