Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Jeff McDonald
Joined
·
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is proof positive that I used to be obssessed with listening to Joe Satriani.

I am quite a packrat and sometime have troubles throwing things away. Well, with our upcoming move, I have decided that it is time to throw some things out, including some of my cassette tape collection, which I've had since High school. I threw out all tapes that I have on CD. Below are a couple of them. Although it is hard to tell what they are, the one on the left is Satch's "The Extremist" and the blank tape on the right has "Surfing with the Alien" on one side and "Flying in a Blue Dream" on the other. I guess you could say that I listened to these a number of times. :p

 

·
Crazy Admin
Joined
·
4,016 Posts
don't throw em out ! ... i have tapes even cd's i've listened to in the past constantly and it's such a thrill bringing them out after such a long time and remembering the ammount of times you played them in your walkman whilst doing whatever .. maybe i'm crazy hehe but i hold onto everything that can bring back a memory or 2 !
 

·
Da Blooze Guy
Joined
·
5,854 Posts
Stiglar said:
don't throw em out ! ... i have tapes even cd's i've listened to in the past constantly and it's such a thrill bringing them out after such a long time and remembering the ammount of times you played them in your walkman whilst doing whatever .. maybe i'm crazy hehe but i hold onto everything that can bring back a memory or 2 !
He's right, since we moved, I've been going through all my old stuff, with the thought of cleaning out things, but I just can't bear to part with them, it's like throwing away a part of myself.....................which my wife is threatening to do. :doh:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,955 Posts
shit...mine are mostly long gone...i was so thrilled not to care anymore when cds came out.....realy feeling our age here now boys..huh.......i think i still have the Big Bad Moon Video from MTV on VHS....they must have only played it a few times...i worn the thing out...it looks like a cartoon now..lol
 

·
Jeff McDonald
Joined
·
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
axeshredder said:
shit...mine are mostly long gone...i was so thrilled not to care anymore when cds came out.....realy feeling our age here now boys..huh.......i think i still have the Big Bad Moon Video from MTV on VHS....they must have only played it a few times...i worn the thing out...it looks like a cartoon now..lol
Hey Joe, if interested, that music video (as well as most all videos Joe made up to and including stuff from The Extremist) can be found on the following video, which i own and would recommend getting. I think it has been re-released on DVD.....



I also have another one (I can't currently locate a pic of the cover online) which I highly recommend (even more than the first one) because it is a documentary style look into the making of the red cover album (Self-titled?)....it really gave a great insight as to how/why that album turned out the way it did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,633 Posts
KC, I too have tons of old cassette tapes from high school...early 80's. I can't bear to throw them out. I used to have an old tape of Surfing with the Alien too! Although I'm not much into Satch now, I was obsessed with that album for awhile. Funny, most of my old tapes were those same "Maxell" tapes like the one you attached.:lol: I wish I still had all my old 8-track tapes of Priest, Sabbath and Zeppelin. Those got lost somehow.:ball:

I also used to own "The Satch Tapes" video.:icon_peac Didn't do me any good though..lol..I could never play like that.
 

·
Jeff McDonald
Joined
·
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ryth and Stig, I know exactly what you are saying. I have so much memorabilia from my whole life that I unfortunately have to make decisions like this one, because I've already got too much stuff that I've saved from my past! I am huge into the idea of sitting in my retirement house some day, spending my final years looking through my huge collection of memorabilia from my entire life. Having things like that to physically hold onto and look at really help to bring back the memories. I did however save all of my cassette covers (I just threw out the actual tapes and plastic cases) and plan to trim them all down to the front cover and make a huge tiled collage of all my cassette tapes, which I will then have framed and hang in my music studio. I figure that will be memory enough. :crazy:
 

·
Jeff McDonald
Joined
·
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Riff Addict said:
.....I wish I still had all my old 8-track tapes of Priest, Sabbath and Zeppelin. Those got lost somehow.:ball:
Oooooo, yeah, I don't think I would be able to throw those 8-track tapes out. Those are a bit more rare.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,955 Posts
kc_artist_rocker said:
Hey Joe, if interested, that music video (as well as most all videos Joe made up to and including stuff from The Extremist) can be found on the following video, which i own and would recommend getting. I think it has been re-released on DVD.....



I also have another one (I can't currently locate a pic of the cover online) which I highly recommend (even more than the first one) because it is a documentary style look into the making of the red cover album (Self-titled?)....it really gave a great insight as to how/why that album turned out the way it did.
thanks KC..just bought it a few months ago on DVD
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top