Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dumping my multifx and going all pedals. My questions is whats the proper order for these effects listed and also which of these effects should run through the FX loop. Any knowledge would be quite helpful. Thanks.

Volume Pedal
Wah Wah
compresser/sustainer
distortion
Super shifter
Digital Delay
Digital reverb/delay(i use now through the loop)
Noise Suppressor
chorus

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Axe, here's what worked best for me...you can try using the compressor/sustainer after the super shifter also if you wish. This way the distorted signal is also compressed. If you wish to use it as a sustain device, leave it where I have it. Wah should always be first as this will "wah" the sound the best. At the end of the chain, the wah effect will actually change your volume and you don't want that. Always keep special effect devices out of the distortion chain. Reverbs, chorus, delay, flange, phaser, intelligent harmonizers etc. The pitch shifter isn't really the same as a solid authentic harmony machine. So it's ok that it is in the signal chain. You can try it in the loop if you are not getting the results you like, but it should work fine where I have it. If you decide to put it in thr effects loop, place it after the delay so it will get a good signal from the other devices. The order I have given you is the best I have achieved throughout the years and you should like the end result. Good luck!

Wah Wah
compresser/sustainer
distortion
Super shifter
Noise Suppressor
Volume Pedal

chorus (first in loop)
Digital Delay (second in loop)
Digital reverb/delay(last in loop)

·
Registered
225 Posts
You're quite welcome. Let me know how you make out with that...I'm curious to hear if you're a happy Axe. :) Anymore problems or questions, let me know. I'm not that good of a player, but I sure am good with rigs and stuff and have quite a lot of knowledge. ;)

·
Captain DB... Savvy ?
3,523 Posts
thats guitar - amp order right Danzi ? just so theres no misunderstanding .. some people see it the other way round .. like me lol

·
Registered
225 Posts
dannyboy said:
thats guitar - amp order right Danzi ? just so theres no misunderstanding .. some people see it the other way round .. like me lol
Sorry for any misunderstandings...

Guitar-chord
Wah Wah
compresser/sustainer
distortion
Super shifter
Noise Suppressor
Volume Pedal to amp

chorus (first in loop) Input of chorus to send of loop
Digital Delay (second in loop)
Digital reverb/delay(last in loop) Output of verb to Return in loop

That better? :) Damn backwards git! Oops...I mean Brit! Hahaha....just kiddin Dan, you know I love that word!!!

·
Captain DB... Savvy ?
3,523 Posts
:lol: just a lazy way of saying american ... missing out 1 letter ... clever eh ? :lol: ... lol i can only imagine how mesa would be with people on this site ... good lord he'd be banned within a day ahahahaha

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Danny Danzi said:
You're quite welcome. Let me know how you make out with that...I'm curious to hear if you're a happy Axe. :) Anymore problems or questions, let me know. I'm not that good of a player, but I sure am good with rigs and stuff and have quite a lot of knowledge. ;)
well im still waiting on the compressor from ebay and im dumping the volume pedal cause i can get a boost from my distortion, also i keeping the delay in the chain cause of this new toy i bought and i plan on only use this for effect during solos (chorus is in the future for now) Metal Zone in there too next to distortion

notice empty slot for compressor/sustainer and the reverb is on top of my amp

am i still ok?...thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well axe, if I can be honest with you, I hate pedals. I think they are the worst culprits in sound degradation anyone can implement into their rig. I don't see the need for a compressor sustainer, a distortion and a Metal Zone. Not to mention a delay really shouldn't be in the distortion signal chain. The sustainer is more of a sustainer than a compressor. It will NOT yield proper compression results. The distortion is decent, and the Metal Zone is a synthetic coloration device that I personally would never use.

The more crap you add, the more problems you could have especially if you're not into this type of thing. I'm a rack user myself, and build them all the time so I'm down with how the signal system works. My current touring rig sports a 25 space flight case filled with just about every rack you can think of, all run through a Bradshaw Switching System. My direct signal chain has an all tube pre-amp in line, and my signal in all areas is so clean, you'd be amazed. No noise, no hum, no nothing. Less is more, remember that....especially in your distortion chain. The most crucial part of your system is the effects loop. What you put in here, or don't put in here can make a difference. BUT...believe it or not you can load the loop up with special effects more so than you could load up the distortion part. In my huge rack named "Goliath" (pictured below..don't mind the gay pink chords, I was bypassing something at the time) the effects you see are all mostly run into the Bradshaw loop because they are special effect type devices that don't give any noise to the signal. Each one has its own seperate channel like a mixing board....which is what the Bradshaw is. But my point, racks are way cleaner than pedals and they can make your sound VERY professional. The dirty part of your chain needs to have nothing but.....dirty things running through it....but multiple distortions isn't usually a good idea. A good tube pre-amp can give you this without having 100 pedals all over the place to where it looks like you need to dance just to play.

Same with the loop special effects. A good rack or 23...lol....can all be changed/operated at the touch of one button. Yep, one button press and I can change all 25 things in that rack instantly. Did I mention how clean the signal is? LOL! :)

·
Premium Member
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
first i need to explain...the distortion boxes are for a variety of tone...if you know the amp i have..JSX...its a tone machine...with an ultra, crunch and clean ,which all kick ass...the boxes are for a variety and really sound good through this amp but i use there effect at a low gain level through the clean channel and only one at a time....im only getting the compressor.sustainer to be sure i have all the sustain i want....i had to move the noise suppressor to the beginning of the chain(after wah) because when i start up the distortion boxes , i lose my noise suppression...as for goliath, im afraid of all that and my rig is sounding sweet now...thanks alot for your help and info...ill post a recording in a day or 2

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.