Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some opinions. PRS is selling pickups from their guitars. It's tough to guess what these pickups would sound like in another guitar beside a PRS. What are your thoughts on them? I have my eye (ear?) set on the MCcarty pair. The website does not list the DC resistance or magnet type (only saying it's Alnico). Also, can anyone offer info if they are 4 conductor or 2? Harmony Central has very few reviews on them. Thanks for any info you can give.

·
Registered
1 Posts
PRS pups

I know this ia very old posting but for anyone just reading it now with the same question. I just put PRS pups in my Epiphone LP the ones in the custom 24's HFS's and wow what a sound! It is crystal clear even when it is screaming and it can really scream! Took it straight to band practice and blew away the other guitarists Strat and his Gibson SG! The ones I used were 3 conductor but I did not use it in this application as I just went with the full humbucking on both. No coil tap. I was originally just trying to clean up the muddy sound the epiphone pups had and was pleasantly surprised at the sound. Which I had been thinking of getting a 4 conductor set of pups for a project I have in mind to run in series and parallel. Well not going to get into too much detail on what i am doing on the next guitar but once I heard the PRS pups in the general full humbucking version I knew I owuld be using them in my next project. My buddy who swears by Fender Strats and would never buy anything else used my guitar at his practice and after a few minutes I heard the unbelievable words come from his mouth. I have to get me one of these! Yes a lowly epiphone LP with PRS pups! well I changed a few other things but not sound changing things igt was all the pups that sold him. He couldn't get over the sustain it gained. LP's already have alot of sustain but you could pick a string on this guitar go upstairs to the bathroom check out the fridge and come back down and the the note will still be ringing! I have swapped out lots of pups in fenders and SG's and a Bich an explorer and this swap made the biggest difference or all of them. But I have yet to swap my newest guitar I have an Angus Young signature but I doubt it will make as much difference as the PRS's did. They are not kidding when they say HOT FAST AND SCREAMING!! Now I believe the trmonti PRS's are 4 conductor and those are the next ones I am buying for my next project if they are indeed 4 conductor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts