Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make instrumental versions of songs I have on CD's, mostly Van Halen. What do I have to do to be able to do this? Is there something I can download, or do I buy something? Is there anyhting I can get at like Best Buy of something? Any help would be really appreciated!

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
There are tons of programs and plugins out there to remove vocals. They aren't perfect, some are terrible but the one I've had the most sucess with is Yogen Vocal Remover. A search on Google should find it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Pod God thanks for that tip, I would like to try it, to keep out vocals to learn guitar parts a little easier, I take it you have a POD, isnt it great, I love mine, there is not a sound that I cant get close too or at least fake people out with, anyway I will try that plugin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, I downloaded the Yogen Vocal Remover, and saved it to my computer. What do I do now, though? When I try to open a file, though, it just says that it an unsopported file format. I don't know what that means. I copied music off of OU812 to my computer, and all the files for the songs end in .wma. Am I doing something wrong? Any help would be great.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
BTW, you probably won't be happy with the results for that album. The Sammy era stuff doesn't always have the vocals panned up the middle(you have better luck with early Dave era stuff). Mess with it, especially the XBS function...it might work

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, it's working! Too bad it says I have to buy a liscence now, but I think I might do it, cause it works great! Thanks Pod God!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm a little confused. What does it mean by a liscence? If I buy one, will I able to do as many songs as I want, or does buying one liscence mean I can only do one song?

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
As a singer I'm offended that you'd want to pull vocals off songs, lol. That's like women getting breast reductions.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As a wannabe guitarist, I'm offended that you want to cover beautiful music with your screeching howls and bad melodies.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Bobby5150 said:
I'm a little confused. What does it mean by a liscence? If I buy one, will I able to do as many songs as I want, or does buying one liscence mean I can only do one song?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, if you buy a license you can do as many songs as you like, and also save them to a new file(which I think is disabled in the demo, not sure)

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
VanMan2000 said:
That's like women getting breast reductions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, there should be a law against this. It's not right that the girl in Sucka's avatar can get a breast reduction but it's illegal for us to clone her. Where's the justice?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, it's just 20 bucks one time payment, or do I have to renew it after a certain amount of time, as well?

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Bobby5150 said:
As a wannabe guitarist, I'm offended that you want to cover beautiful music with your screeching howls and bad melodies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Screeching howls and bad melodies? Hmmm, you've obviously heard my stuff. Point taken, lol.

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
See? My peeps are in the house tonight! LOL!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well it looks like I'm outnumbered, I guess I'll have to surrender. But I'll be back, with more great air guitars antics!

·
Registered
116 Posts
have you heard of the OOPS effect (Out of Phase Stereo)? it's a way to extract the center channel off a stereo recording; I've done it using cooledit but it ends with a mono channel.

Basically, you have left and right channels; invert the left one, and mix it with the right one; since the center channel is present in both left and right, and left is inverted, it will be cancelled when mixed.

Here's more information...

link 1

link 2

Ben

1 - 20 of 21 Posts