Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Scandinavian noise maker!
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I bought that one along time ago.....
And I have come to the conclusion, that the comfortably numb solo is one of the very best I ever have heard!
David just does it!
The sound, the feel, the effects, the sheer amount of timing and sense of a vast amount of talent...it still floors me how elegant and great it is!
I wish I could play this refined and with so few notes, being able to talk like that!!!
Wow!
Sorry I just saw a thread on HC about it too, funny coinsidence actually.
I have a new goal now..hehe how to be able to play like that and get so much out...effortless and clean.
Amazing and he just keeps getting better as well.

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
I am still amazed at his bending on the Wall - 5 tones with passing notes. it is on a par with vai's trem antics. a trick that is made into something musical. Glimour is superb.

·
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heh so the rest are just not into Gilmoure it seems Porty...
Yeah those bends of his are great.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Gilmour is one of my favourite guitarist and biggest sources of inspiration. The way he conveys emotion through his guitar is breath taking.

Correct me if I'm wrong but dosen't he play that solo on a lapsteel on Pulse? Or am I thinking of another song?

·
Registered
479 Posts
The TikiBar said:
Gilmour is one of my favourite guitarist and biggest sources of inspiration. The way he conveys emotion through his guitar is breath taking.

Correct me if I'm wrong but dosen't he play that solo on a lapsteel on Pulse? Or am I thinking of another song?
I think the lapsteel was "one of these days".....it's been awhile since i've seen it

·
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep in high hopes he play acoustic and the switches to his lapsteel...awesome playing!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've watched the video and listened to the cd more times than I could ever remember. In my book, this ranks as one of the best solos of all time; I never get tired of hearing it.

Gilmore has a technique that many can imitate, but few can truly do justice. I've spent countless hours trying to learn this solo. The notes are there, but the sound is not.

G

·
Brad,

You MUST check out Doyle Bramhall 11 and Snowy White's interpretation
of Comfortably Numb on the Roger Waters DVD "In The Flesh". Very Different, but it also has the capacity to move one.
There have been many an evening when Mrs Grump and I have sat watching The Pulse Version to follow it instantly with Roger Waters one.

But then as you already know to your cost....We REALLY are THAT Sad! :notme:

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
That's a great concert. But I really miss Roger Waters on that one. A lot of songs just don't feel right without his vocals.

While we're on the subject. Anybody knows if there are any DVD's or videos out there of concerts with pink floyd with both waters and gilmour that one could get a hold of?

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
Gilmour is my favorite guitarist. Pink Floyd is my favorite band. I would give up my right testicle to play half as good as Gilmour.

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
Naifuzan said:
That's a great concert. But I really miss Roger Waters on that one. A lot of songs just don't feel right without his vocals.

While we're on the subject. Anybody knows if there are any DVD's or videos out there of concerts with pink floyd with both waters and gilmour that one could get a hold of?
Pink Floyd ceased being Pink Floyd after Waters departed. Although some of the latter tunes stand out, they pale in comparison to DSotM, WYWH, and Animals.

Although it kills me to say this, Roger Waters plays Floyd tunes better than Floyd does. I saw Pink Floyd 2x during the Delicate Sound of Thunder and, although they have the best live show of any artist, even with all that money spent on the tour Waters' 2000/2001 In The FLesh Live tour just blew them away. Get the DVD if you don't already own it. Doyle Bramhall and Snowy White are tremendous and give spectacular performances.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
stingx said:
Pink Floyd ceased being Pink Floyd after Waters departed. Although some of the latter tunes stand out, they pale in comparison to DSotM, WYWH, and Animals.

Although it kills me to say this, Roger Waters plays Floyd tunes better than Floyd does. I saw Pink Floyd 2x during the Delicate Sound of Thunder and, although they have the best live show of any artist, even with all that money spent on the tour Waters' 2000/2001 In The FLesh Live tour just blew them away. Get the DVD if you don't already own it. Doyle Bramhall and Snowy White are tremendous and give spectacular performances.
Agree 100%. What I was looking for tho, was concerts with floyd from before waters left. Anyway, I will definately check out the In The Flesh concert. I love his The Wall concert with a lot of various artists featuring.

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
Naifuzan said:
Agree 100%. What I was looking for tho, was concerts with floyd from before waters left. Anyway, I will definately check out the In The Flesh concert. I love his The Wall concert with a lot of various artists featuring.
Check out the DVD of Pink Floyd Live at Pompei.

G

·
Grumpy Old Fool said:
Brad,

You MUST check out Doyle Bramhall 11 and Snowy White's interpretation
of Comfortably Numb on the Roger Waters DVD "In The Flesh". Very Different, but it also has the capacity to move one.
I'm sure it's been brought up before but did you ever notice how Doyle's guitar is strung. It looks like he learned to play an upside down guitar because hes leftie and instead of stringing it with the low e on top he simply learned to play it "backwards" WAY Cool...

G

·
Gilmour is my all time no doubt fav,for somthing a little different check out his meltdown concert on DVD. It has been out for some time so many of you may already have it....I think it is awesome :icon_thum

Carl

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.