Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m not sure where to post this so I will post it here. Ok, I have always wondered how in the hell someone can stand right next to a wall of stacks and not have hearing damage ? Or how they don’t have a heart attack, when I was watching Live Right Here Right Now. Michael Anthony is standing right next to his speakers….. Wouldn’t that give you heart problems? Anyone that has been to a concert knows how loud it is. That’s my stupid question. lol

·
MOON RULES!
450 Posts
most bands where ear plugs obviously.. but some bands dont have the top stacks wired... more for show. there are a handfull of guitarist though who do. Like Zakk Wylde , Mick Mars to name a few...they just love it fuckin loud... I know michael anthony said loves is soo loud he can feel his tooth fillings shake..

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Sorry, couldn't resist it! Certainly some muso's (Pete Townsend notably) have had permanent damage but we still keep on. These days a lot of rockers where custom made ear plugs in the hope that this will stop the hearing deteriorating. Back in the days, I used a couple of stacks but my hearing is still good...luck, more than anything I think. Heart problems tho?! You'd need to be playing thru an awful lot of gear to bring that on! And don't forget, just because you can see all that gear doesn't mean it's all plugged in!

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
What was that again FF? Your gonna have to speak up lol

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just because there's 15 bass/guitar cabs onstage, don't think for a second that all of them are being used. That's all eye candy. And for the most part, the one's that are being used, are the low one's on the floor, not aimed at ear level. Believe it or not, ALOT of hearing loss for musicians is associated with Cymbals. In rehearsal, they're almost always at ear level.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEINNNNGGGGGGG!!

·
Registered
479 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Riff Addict said:
I don't guess cruising around in my car for years with the Metal cranked has anything to do with it?

[/ QUOTE ]......mmmm it just might

serriously tho....I've got some hearing loss as well from years of playing standing in front of a stack.....but what the hell tho..we live but once

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
On a serious note. I can verify about speaker cabs causing heart probs. I am a heart patient (quad bypass) with a lot of muscle loss. I dont get near a bass cab thats anywhere near cranked. It can alter your heartbeat(firsthand knowledge) and cause considerable pain to anything loose in your body. As far as hearing protection. WEAR IT. And yes. most of the cabs are simply there for eye candy, Kiss was an innovator in a stage full of empty cabinets . Mic everything you can through the PA and use your amp as a monitor. If your bass player insists on cabs that restructure your heart rythm make him put to the side or out front. Most places are so small your ass is blocking 90% of your sound and a top cab simply splits whatever you have left of a brain. If your having probs with floors sucking up your sound, elevate your cabinet with milk crates or some kind of stand.

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
I would agree the cymbals in a small environment kills the ears!! and "feedback" like when the top high-freq horn squeals!!!!
holy mackeral...makes me become faint!!! If i ever run both cabs and the head....they are side by side configuration...easier to deal with...but that's very very rare..and the only way I can tell hearing damage has occured is when i see a band and my ears ring for 2 or 3 days afterwards....

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Generally it's not as loud on stage as you think....because you are hearing the PA cranked. However I remember back in the early VH days Ed's amps were not "eye candy" and they were really cranked loud. I was in a big indoor arena during the WACF tour and the PA blew a breaker and completely shut down....but Ed's amps were still on and they were F'ing LOUD. I don't think his amps were really even mic'd.

If I played professionally today, I would wear "in-ear-monitors" and save my hearing.

G

·
like many have said here, not all the stacks are plugged in....all I have is a 100 watt fender amp and I have blasted that or played through headphones loud, and my ears have had a lil damage, sometimes stuff seems quiter than normal...so I'm sure those guitarists have damage, but nothing too extreme or too permanent...a lot of it I think too, is the sound is directed all around them, so their ear isn't taken as much as youd think...if you just yell in someones ear, directly into it, it will hurt them a lot more than it would if they were on stage 15 feet away from 6 stacks...this is a guess, I don't know for sure, but it would be interesting to know why they don't get a lot of damage

G

·
When I stand up and play I have to put my strap high or I cant play power chords right and I look like a fuckin geek!! Can anyone help me? its not like my arms are short or anything I just cant do it right.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
This thread may be better suited for the Guitar Rack so I'm gonna go head and move it there. Good topic FF cause I always wondered the same thing. Moving this now...

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
fender bender said:
When I stand up and play I have to put my strap high or I cant play power chords right and I look like a fuckin geek!! Can anyone help me? its not like my arms are short or anything I just cant do it right.

[/ QUOTE ]
George Harrison wore his guitar high, but all you need to do is lower and practice. Just to get your muscles realigned to the lower guitar. It will take a little work, but you should be OK within a couple of weeks at most.
Unless you have stubby fingers, then you're screwed.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
I'm just amazed with the confidence and technical ability it takes to play live at such high volumes so cleanly...

Amazes me, cuz you don't get no second take when you're up there live !!!

As for hearing loss, I can speak from experience when I say that you should cherish and protect your hearing. I have only been given the top end frequencies due to advances in digital technology, and I heard birds singing for the first time recently...

I tell you, I was so teary-eyed, it was amazing !!! I wouldn't want to lose this ever again. And fook me, all that good shit that is going on in the top end. When I heard the start of Eddie playing Learning To See with my new aids in, I was blown away...

So don't take it for granted guys, take care of yer lugs !!! Nothing worse than being in a group conversation all night and not knowing what the fook anyone is talking about !!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.