Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a really dumb question :wtf: But those Fernandez Sustainers, what exactly are they? What are they and not what do they do? I mean, I know they sustain notes for as long as you want, but what exactly IS it? Is it some kind of device that goes on the bridge? Is it a cover for the bridge humbucker? Is it a humbucker by itself, and you have to remove the old one? :confused:

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
I played VHFan's, and what it is is a single coil in the neck position generating a magnetic pulse to either sustain the strings or mimick feedback (probabaly through intense pulsating). You can hook it up to your other pups, but you will need the Ferrnandez in the neck. It also works as a regular pup if not on. The kit comes with a humbucker as well, but it is not needed. Is that the info you were flooking for?:scratch:

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
GuitarsAndTacos said:
That's exactly what I needed to know but one more question! :toothless

Based on what you told me, does that mean that having a sustainer disables you from using the neck pickup?
Yep....it replaces your neck PUP. But as EJ pointed out...it is a passive PUP when turned off.

I just bought and installed a Dimarzio Evolution PUP in the same guitar as my sustainer........sounds really COOL!:thumb:

You also have to install a circuit board and battery compartment.

And...it eats 9V's like crazy.:toothless

1 - 5 of 5 Posts