Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference b/w a Major Scale and a Pentatonic Major? Secondly does anybody know of a good site that can teach you how to play scales which have good illistrutaion of the notes on the fretboard? Lastly, How do you form a riff off of a scale?

Thanks,

God Bless you all

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
diamondaveroth said:
What is the difference b/w a Major Scale and a Pentatonic Major? Secondly does anybody know of a good site that can teach you how to play scales which have good illistrutaion of the notes on the fretboard? Lastly, How do you form a riff off of a scale?

Thanks,

God Bless you all
1 - The pentatonic major scale is missing notes out of the major scale. I believe maj pent goes 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 8 but I could be wrong. Minor pent goes 1, b3, 4, 5, b7, 8

2 - http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php

3 - Just play around with it. Get a metronome and just play 8th notes of any note within a particular scale and see what you make up. This is sort of the self discovery part. You could pick numbers and say, "I will play the 1, then the 3, then the 7, then the 5, and resolve to 1" but imho that is putting too much mechanics into it. Eventually that kind of thing will come naturally; you don't need to force it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts