Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Banned
158 Posts
You're right. The compositions off of Flexable and Fire Garden are my favorite Vai tunes. To me, they are what covers the most ground :p. So, as an abnormality of a Vai fan, I hereby proclaim that I don't think passion and warfare is his jem. If i really had to choose, it'd hands down be fire garden. It takes you on a journey.

· Banned
158 Posts
Sadge said:
Lets not forget that Vai got his first lessons from Satch and who's to say that Vai would be the guitar virtuoso that he is without Satch's input and later Frank Zappa's. Vai would be the first to acknowledge the debt he owes to those two awesome musicians.
Lets also not forget that Vai got Joe signed to Relativity Records by playing Joe's (self-financed) Not of This Earth album to Relativity boss Cliff Cultreri and recommending he take Joe on board....................... the rest is history.
I am one of the Zappa freaks that DannyBoy refers to and I love Flex-Able, "Call It Sleep" is my favourite Vai track ever............... but I am in agreement that "Passion and Warfare" is the most "complete" Vai album in the catalogue and as DannyBoy alludes to Vai surely is a legend in my book as well as his.
Yea but most Vai fans have realized that the student has long since surpassed the teacher :). P.S. Im one of those Zappa Freaks too.

· Banned
158 Posts
"Also I don't think Satriani made Vai a great guitar player, but Vai made himself a good guitar player. I rarely hear any of joe's style in his playing but I do hear a lot of Zappa. Not that i'm dissing Satriani as I think he too is awesome" Yea. I think the Zappa influence is a bit more OBVIOUS. Yea Satch taught Vai for a while, but i'm sorry I think Zappa taught and challenged him a hell of a lot more, and the influence is much more there. The student has surpassed the teacher (satch) *cough*. "and i've never seen satch make mistakes, can't say that for vai." I don't what this guy's talking about here. Have you been paying close enough attention to the music?
Peavy, it's fine that you dont like Vai, but why go on a VAI FORUM and tell everyone? Obviously you're just barking up the wrong tree and everyone is going to disagree with you, so why try? The comments are futile. Anyone that comes to this Vai section most likely loves him, and agrees with me that he is not only a great guitarist, but a great composer and an extremely creative and vibrant individual. I wish i could say the same for Satch, but the more I go back to him the more he just bores me in comparison. Sorry.

· Banned
158 Posts
You're right. But you're also missing the point that noone is Allan Holdswroth either. And noone can offer what Allan Holdsworth offers. And noone is Jimi Hendrix and can offer what Jimi Hendrix offers. It's not like Vai is the only person to be an individual. Anyways, this IS a vai forum afterall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.