Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just re-strung my Ibanex RG2550EX, and ive done it before but never had this problem, when i try to tune it, its impossible to get in tune because the bridge moves when the tension on the string is tightened or loosened. so i tune E and then when i get down to the bottom E the first E is tune to C, its way out... how can i resolve this probleM?? please help!!!:icon_surp :icon_ball

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
You just have to keep re-tuning. Everytime you tune through all the strings, the pitch difference gets smaller and smaller till its perfect.

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
Check out those articels mentioned, and shoot me another PM if you have any questions :thumb:

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
mickey_g107 said:
yeh but when i finish the bridge is almost verticle haha
haha. You need to tighten the springs in the back. It's one of those trial and error things. Tighten the springs, retune. Then repeat a few hundred times :icon16:

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Theres two screws in the spring cavity at the back of the guitar. Give each screw a few turns with a phillips head screwdriver (make sure the screws are even). When you turn the screws clockwise it tightens the springs which pull the tremolo further back. Keep doing this and retuning until you get the tremolo level with the body of the guitar.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have a method in which you can skip all that re-tuning and adjusting stuff, in which you tune and adjust only a couple of times. It's somewhat of an oddball method but trust me, it works like a charm on my Edge-pro equipped Ibanez.

Note that this is the same method you see on most sites, except it's a bit strange and involves using cut up papers to get your guitar in tune. Well, what were ya expecting from a guy whose screenname is GuitarsAndTacos?! :laugh:

First, open the screws in the back tremolo cover plate thingy. There are six of them, it's located on the back of the guitar. After unscrewing all of 'em the plate should easily come off.

Now, I assume your RG has one of those floating systems... Unlock the nuts, set your fine-tune knobs to the middle, tune down the strings until they are flappy, put the tremolo bar into the bridge, and grab a bunch of junk paper, or any thin and non-damaging material. Cut or tear up the paper so it will fit into the tremolo, but make sure it's thick enough to fit. I reccomend folding a standard-sized (8 x 11) paper and folding it once horizontally and vertically, then cut it to fit into the tremolo.

Using a phillips head screwdriver, adjust the two really big screws (they are the only big screws you'll see here), clockwise to make it tighter, and counter clockwise to make it more loose. Try to keep the screws even. Tightening the screws make the angle of the bridge higher, and loosening them lower the angle. Adjust until it is parallell to the body, which is basically flat.

If you have a tremolo blocker thingy, go ahead and use it (if you don't know what it is, you probably don't have one ^_^) If you don't have one like me, stick the pieces of paper in the space between the bridge and the empty spaces. The principle here is to "block" the bridge - that is, to keep it from moving when you tune. This way, when you tune your low E, then move over to your A and D, the E actually stays an E. :thumb: So tune away! And note that you are NOT using your fine-tuning knobs, you are using the regular tuning knobs on the headstock.

Once in tune, remove the pieces of paper one by one. Each time you remove one, the bridge should go higher or lower, just a little bit. Adjust the screws just enough to keep it flat. This way, you don't have to make any drastic adjustments. Continue until all the paper is gone, making sure each time that the bridge stays flat... You also want to tune every string each time you adjust the brige angle (the two big screws.) When all the paper is gone, make any minor adjustments to the bridge angle ensuring it is parallell to the body, tune once more, and lock them nuts :icon_mrgr This is the part where you now tune with the fine-tune knobs and marvel at how nicely your axe performs.

Hopefully my rather unorthodox approach to attaining balance in your tremolo will prove to be useful. Just try not to get any papercuts :icon_danc

1 - 15 of 15 Posts