Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find that getting a good distortion tone is one of the hardest things to do.
I have a pretty cheap mic, some kind of AKG (cost me around $70), but a buddy of mine has a pretty expensive mic (not sure what kind) and he says he has problems finding a good tone also.
Here's my question: What kind of mics and amps do you guys use for a good dirty sound? Also, what kind of mic positioning do you use?

It doesnt really matter what type of music, but especially metal (along the lines of metallica, iron maiden, judas priest, slayer, and so on).
Thanks a lot!

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
I know this won't be what you wanna hear lol ,

but i spend fecken hours and hours positioning mics and fiddling with my 5150 to get a good distorted recorded sound and none of them ever sounded right to me and i wasted alot of time on it ,

I picked up a pod 2.0 put it on one setting and whilst it's not perfect sometimes it takes me about 2 seconds to do and set up and i'm more than happy with the sound .

having said that putting the mic up right up against the speaker in the lower left hand side of the cone is great .. some people put it in the middle but you'll find that bypasses most of the sound and tone that comes from the amp . :thumb:

good luck !

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
PodXT, with model packs...double the guitar track, pan one left the other right. Nice and thick...

A good example of this is the distored guitars on my Cinnamon Girl cover.

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
Rythameen said:
Another Pod XT, model pack convert here.................I can't even remember the last time I plugged in my amp.:werd:
Too much work for very little reward. Can my XT sound as good as my main amp mic'ed? With the right patch applied and seated right in the mix I believe so.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I agree with all the Line 6 nazi's.....I only use a Vetta these days. However I used to mic a distorted 5150 and could get a pretty good recorded sound out of it. I used an SM57 at about 30 degrees right off the grill on one of the lower speakers about half way between center and edge. Closer to center gives a brighter tone....closer to edge gives a muffled tone. But with a POD XT, you can select the type of mic and it's position.

Things really started to work well for me when I got a mic preamp.....that is the key to a good recorded tone with a mic.

That said....just go get a POD/V-amp/Vetta etc. Nothing beats a good stereo recording and they are foolproof for getting a great recorded tone.....save yourself a lot of time and money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts