Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ahve a line 6 flextone 3 XL and I want to do some recording threw my PC. I have Asus A7N8X-X motherboard with an onboard sound card. The PC is pleanty fast enough and I have hooked my Amp up to the PC via the headphone out on the amp to the line in and the mic in on my pc. I get sound but the guitar is delayed threw the sound card.

What can I do to fix this?

If it is a sound card problem then what would be the best way to make this work right...I mean what do I need to buy to do this right.

I already have the recording software I just need something that sounds half way desent....I'm along way from the pro player.

G

·
by delayed, do you mean when you play back what you record, the timing is off? if its that then it is the soundcard. it doesnt have enough memory to keep up with with whats being recorded.

·
Registered
66 Posts
micoyote1,

It sounds like your problem is monitoring. Whatever software that you are using to record is probably set to monitor your input. Pretty much any onboard sound card won't be able to keep up this way. You are experiencing what is called latency. The card just isn't powerful enough to give you real time feedback of what you are playing. Try to look for settings and do whatever you can to turn monitoring off. I bet if you were to record something to a click it woiuld still be on time, it's just that when you are recording it sounds off.

Now that I'm thinking about it, it could just be that your sound card suffers from so much latency that even the actual recording might be off.

Either way, onboard soundcards usually aren't a very good way to record due to these problems. What software are you using to record? There are ASIO drivers for low end sound cards like yours that might help you here.

Eric

·
Registered
665 Posts
I had problems with latency
If you monitor through the program you record with you'll probably have it
if you tell your soundcard to do it.....it wont

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am using calkwalk home studio and I also have calkwalk pro audio 9 which I have tried...Oh and Anvil studio too.

The delay comes during the actual recording or when I play the guitar threw the pc. The latency seems to be alright after it has been recorded but I cant be sure.

Where can I find these drivers?

If the drivers don't work what can I do, buy ,ect, to get a desent recording with out the latency any where....pre or post recording?

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT ALL.......

·
Registered
66 Posts
ASIO4All is the driver I was referring to. You can find it here.

http://www.asio4all.com/

Make sure to read all the documentation to get an understanding of how and why it works. I've used it in the past with success, and it's really pretty decent. I think it might be just what you are looking for.

Eric

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks coolez... I tried them, but my sound card sucks plain and simple. What would you guys suggest I do at this point? Better sound card or is there some type of equipment I can buy that would work good? I am somewhat lost here.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks man.... I think this will do just fine....I am going to order it in the morning.....Thanks eveyone for all you help and input....

Is it fairly easy to figure out after you install it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts