Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new PC has an Asus motherboard with an onboard Nvidia sound card. I'm told it is high quality......but I am having problems....

I've been recording using Sonar 3 and a PC mic in front of my amp - soundedf ok

I decided to try going from the amp to the line-in on the card - my problem is that the input volume going into Sonar is way too loud - I've tried EVERYHING - Control panel / sound options and turned down the volume - it has no effect in Sonar.
If I turn the volume of the amp down - I lose the quality.

My friend has a Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum and tells me I should "bite the bullet" and get one.

Any thoughts????????

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Sounds like you might need a mixer!

I use a Behringer MX602A

It's nothing special but I have 2 amps, a pod and a mic all going into it and I can control the output level going into my soundcard and also have a 3 band EQ for each channel

For under $100...it was worth it!!

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
NTG - have you got the speaker icon in the tray on the right hand side of your task bar? if so open it and open options > Properties and recording. These volumes affect the signal coming in to the soundcard. I am guessing the volume you have been adjusting merely affects the payback after you have recorded it. Give it a go

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not,

It will not give you better sound to go from your AMP to your Line In. It will probably sound harsh, which may be why you feel the signal is too strong.

If it is clipping, then adjusting the levels in your software may have no positive effect, even if you can get the volume reduced. The reason is that it is causing the clipping at the sound card, before it reaches your software.

The mixer will stop the clipping, but it will probably still not sound as good as a mic in front of your amp.

I guess I would ask, why are you trying to go direct into your sound card? Do you not like the sound from the mic?

---------
Legato

1 - 6 of 6 Posts