Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to record heavily distorted, drop C-tuned rhythm guitar for a song... But it's cruddy, it's really unclear and muddy. Any tips on how to fix this?

·
Registered
733 Posts
try using the equalizer on what ever software you are using. raise the mids and highs just a little...maybe even take some out of the lows...that should make it a little clearer.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
also u might want to try doubling (or copy and paste) the rhythms, and pan the two tracks to the extreme left and right.. that usually clears things up
good luck :)

G

·
GuitarsAndTacos said:
I'm trying to record heavily distorted, drop C-tuned rhythm guitar for a song... But it's cruddy, it's really unclear and muddy. Any tips on how to fix this?

EQ! Actually, what mic are you using? SM57?

Watch the 100-200Hz range, I'm sure theres a problem area there. Perhaps around 120 is where I'd start to look.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm gonna add a recording tutorial I did on the POD forums here. It covers your question in the piles of info it has.

But here is some tips I have learned:

Only use a tight reverb, like a tiled room. You want the amp to have the sound of a small room. Maybe a 10X10 room. You can use delays and reverb to create this room (I do this with the POD or rather Line 6 did it for me).

As the other guy said double track and pan hard left and right 50-100% to get that wall of guitar sound.

Most times you can use less distortion than you think!

EQing is a topic for an entire post. But I'll say this in general. The thumping, chugging, kicking 4x12 cab sound that is great to jam with does not go to tape well. In a mix the bass guitar and drums are in these lower freq. areas and you have to keep your guitar out of thier way or else the mix mudds up fast!

In a well mastered recording the final mastering process uses a multi band compressor that selects just the low freqs and "pumps" them up. You can do this with an EQ. If you guitar is hanging out down in this low end more mud.

The mastering process is what makes a tune sound full, deep, and big. Not tracking your guitar with booming freqs.

You may already know this but it's a common problem I had and I thinkg a few others have too. It's all about trying to get the sound in our head onto CD and it's a quest.

cos

1 - 8 of 8 Posts