Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
What ya Lookin Fer?
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is a stereo recording test I made today. Trying to get this thing tweaked in.

I recorded the following file today and looking for opinions as to how it (the recording) sounds. Thanks ;)

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
It sounds lovely - I would have brought the lead forward a bit bit it purely preference. The playing is great though :thumb:

·
What ya Lookin Fer?
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Goport said:
It sounds lovely - I would have brought the lead forward a bit bit it purely preference. The playing is great though :thumb:

As in "forward", do you mean gain?

Thanks for the compliment on the playing ;). I have always loved that "satch" score and decided to take some time to learn it over the course of the past week and a half. The rythym near the end of this recording sounds simple enough but it is kind of tricky to grasp since there is a lot of string skipping going on. The arrangement is very logical but unusual, but then again it is Satriani we're talking about... hehe.

·
Da Blooze Guy
5,854 Posts
Listening on my system at least the lead sounds like its off to the right just a little, and I wouldn't necessarily bring up the gain on it, just ease up on the wetness of the verb. Overall, sounds great though.:bannana_g

·
What ya Lookin Fer?
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rythameen said:
Listening on my system at least the lead sounds like its off to the right just a little, and I wouldn't necessarily bring up the gain on it, just ease up on the wetness of the verb. Overall, sounds great though.:bannana_g
Ok, I know what you mean. I kinda did the recording and pasted it in and maybe I just didn't get it on que... oops.

However, in the original recording Joe uses a slight chorus effect and a delay set about 440ms which causes a slap back effect. I am still working on the tone today to get a little closer to what Joe uses in the original and I think I have it pretty close now. I am also going to use Hard Limiting to bring out some of the low end and mid tones a bit which are getting somewhat lost. I think I'll need to eq the treble a bit higher in the final track as well. Try to bring it all out a little cleaner.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Sounds nice, I concur with some of the other comments. For the lead guitar, a little less 'wet', maybe just a touch louder (.5 db maybe). I usually try to match the verb on my guitar with the backing track (listen to the snare), as much as possible, unless I'm going for a spacey effect. It's tough though to find that sweet spot somtimes. Nice playing too!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
i think you did a great job too except like the others i had to listen too hard for the lead. bring it up a little. your playing was good too. the only thing i would change is to add more vibrato in your playing. if you listen closely to satch, evh etc they never let a note ring on without a vibrato. a great vibrato is one of the most important tools you need to become a great professional sounding guitarist. other than the vibrato you nailed the solo. great job!

·
What ya Lookin Fer?
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
eamon7 said:
i think you did a great job too except like the others i had to listen too hard for the lead. bring it up a little. your playing was good too. the only thing i would change is to add more vibrato in your playing. if you listen closely to satch, evh etc they never let a note ring on without a vibrato. a great vibrato is one of the most important tools you need to become a great professional sounding guitarist. other than the vibrato you nailed the solo. great job!

Thanks guys (on my playing).

I think I have the tone worked out on my Digitech RP200, but I need some kind of real time EQ that is better than just basic crap on my Multi-FX processor (it is simply Bass, Mid and Treb...ughhh)

Anyone know of a good real time EQ for use on an XP PC?

I notice that if I EQ in post (digitally), some tones get lost ...not to mention it gives more punch to the delay than I prefer... by doing the EQ in real time, I would get more of the tone I'm looking for before post editing.

·
What ya Lookin Fer?
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After much searching on the net, I think I found a realtime EQ. I haven't tested it yet, but for anyone else whom might be looking for one, here is the link...

http://www.dubaron.com/artee/equal.html

Oh and BTW, it's free. :bannana_g

·
What ya Lookin Fer?
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Woohoo! Got the tone I need. Geez it was simple... I just turned on the Wah on my FX Board... doh!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts