Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have a studio, so I hafta record vocals in my office. But it sounds like hella crap! He'p!

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
What help are you expecting? Most people here record in the same room they surf the web in (small office or room). Take a mic/tape deck or porta studio with you into the park around 2am and record your tracks al fresco :drunk:

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Kain Thornn said:
I don't have a studio, so I hafta record vocals in my office. But it sounds like hella crap! He'p!
You could try hanging a bunch of blankets around where you are going to sing; thick ones like comfortors or sleeping bags. Make like a little sound tent of sorts. I don't know if it will fix the problem but it should help. It should deaden the ambiance of the room. You can then add reverb or whatever later.

You might try just hanging stuff like that on walls in the room too. Hanging thick blankets helps deaden the room. It might be that you can improve the situation in general in a more permanent manner. Putting up and tearing down a sound 'tent' is gonna be a bitch.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The big part of the problem is the absence of ambience of any sort. I sound like I'm fighting for breath. :dunno:

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Kain Thornn said:
The big part of the problem is the absence of ambience of any sort. I sound like I'm fighting for breath. :dunno:
Can you post a sample? I don't know if I can help, but I will try. I'm not sure what you mean by the above. Are you meaning that you hear yourself breathing in a bunch? Two things I would try if that is the case: a pop-screen; and opening your throat wider when breathing in.

All rooms have ambiance of some sort, you just must not like this one's.

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
I like a live bouncy room for vocals...I record in a 10x10 enclosure. SM-57 with a foam home made pop screen. I use a behringer 4 track mixer as a pre-amp. You may just need to look into the pre-amp aspect...I have nothing covering my walls...it's bone naked and I like it that way. Godd luck with it bro.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
3fingers said:
I have nothing covering my walls...it's bone naked and I like it that way.
Some rooms don't need to be fixed ;) And of course different rooms for different needs/tastes/moon phases.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts