Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very crappy mic and i cant get my guitar to be louder than the track.
is there a way to turn the volume?i tried turning up my guitar but it starts to break up.or i could send it to somebody and you tone it down

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
slowhandman said:
I have a very crappy mic and i cant get my guitar to be louder than the track.
is there a way to turn the volume?i tried turning up my guitar but it starts to break up.or i could send it to somebody and you tone it down
What software are you using? How are you connecting your guitar to your computer?

This assumes of course that you are using a computer to record...if not nm.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im using the mic in my monitor :doh: but dont have a program that has andthign to do with midi, just a mic and a home recording software

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
slowhandman said:
im using the mic in my monitor :doh: but dont have a program that has andthign to do with midi, just a mic and a home recording software
You might need to turn up the mic input in the soundcard, but given what you are using you are going to have to accept a LOT of limitations. It isn't going to sound good at all and might not pick up any better than what you are getting.

You can get a set of behringer mics for about $30 for 3. The sound pretty damn good for the price...DAMN good for the price. The find a used mixer at a store or something. A couple hundred should get you started. Then you can get audacity at sourceforge.

The little mics that come with computers, and even worse the ones in monitors, are just crap. They are not meant to be used for any type of real recording...they barely pick up voice well enough to work with.

·
Registered
733 Posts
or you could just go buy a $2 1/4" to 1/18" adapter at radio shack. plug your guitar/processor/effects unit what have you into line in on soundcard or mic input. set your puter to record from line in or mic on windows volume control. youre done.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
MattM said:
or you could just go buy a $2 1/4" to 1/18" adapter at radio shack. plug your guitar/processor/effects unit what have you into line in on soundcard or mic input. set your puter to record from line in or mic on windows volume control. youre done.
Yeah, if you have an effects processor that has a line out. You can also plug guitar directly into the mic in but it sounds like crap. Should be better than what the OP is trying to work with though. You might even find some software effects to make it better. I know there is an effects rack for Linux, should be one for Windows or Mac.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts