Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As Goport pointed out in a different thread, this particular tune can present problems if you do not have precise intonation due to the fact that the chords are so spread out over the neck (particularly as you get up towards the 12th fret chords). I do not currently have perfect intonation on my guitar, but it really only affects one chord (the very first chord and the 3 or 4 times it repeats itself throughout the song). But the rest turned out alright.

Anyway, this is a bit of a sneak preview of the first half of this tune, which will later be recorded in its entirety featuring the very talented 3Fingers on vocals (if he doesn't back out of his contract by the time I finish recording the whole tune
).

This will get refined a time or too before final presentation, as I respect Rush too much to put out a shoddy representation of their well-refined and disciplined music. But since Goport and 3Fingers have submitted some Rush sneak preview tunes lately, i can't help but join in the fun.

All feedback is welcome, as I truly want to nail this one in the end, so i invite your suggestions for bettering it. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
This was awesome KC, I can't wait to hear the whole thing, great job!

·
Temporary Organ Donor
314 Posts
KC... I'm mighty impressed. What a great tone on this one, and a great tune to cover. Viva RUSH.......

BPP

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a bunch you guys (Mike, Jimmy, BigP2, Shredman, and T-Axe) for listening and for leaving the positive feedback. I appreciate it a lot. Makes me wanna work harder on this.

I forgot to give a shout out to the mighty Khaos for working hard to make this BT sound so good. I would have never learned how to play this Rush tune (long-time top favorite of mine) without this killer BT.

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Although I like Rush, for some reason I never really got terribly interested in their music back in the 70's...I guess there were just too many other bands at that time that I listened to.
So I don't know this particular tune to compare yours to...but , I really like your rendition!!!! The playing was exlnt!!!
I can't wait to hear the vocals that the slut (oops, did I say that out loud?)...I mean 3fingers adds to this!!!
Should be killer!!!

As for your intonation...that is very easily corrected if you have a tuner. If you don't have one, I think you can pick one up fairly cheap these days.

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
KC...this was excellent!!! I could never nail those chords down!! Your intonation seems spot on! sgstd....
...I am an "executive slut.." as Eddie Izzard would say....

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[ QUOTE ]
sgstd said:
I can't wait to hear the vocals that the slut (oops, did I say that out loud?)...I mean 3fingers adds to this!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
I know it. I will be wearing rubber gloves when I record/mix the final with him. I don't wanna be picking up any musical creapy-crawlies from all the other guitarists he's been whoring around with on this site.

Just playing 3F. Hey, what can we say? When you got some talent, you are in demand.

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
..no..you did not just say that....jinx me again will ya....

·
Napoleon Dynamite
4,533 Posts
fuck...sounds like I was listening to the album

KC, man, this is simply awesome. Just sounds really good...wow...

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks much EssGee and Sling. Even though I am normally a 70s kinda guy, I hopped up into the 80s for this one (1984, I believe). Thanks for havin' a listen and typin' some stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,944 Posts
This is my favorite Rush tune. You gave it all the respect it deserved. Great job.

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the feedback Sting, Feengurs, and GinMan and VanMan. Feels good in this thread, like I'm hanging out in a RUSH fraternity or something. Post a few Rush covers and the RUSH brethren come out of the woodwork. It's meaningful to me to get positive feedback on this from fellow Rush fans.

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[ QUOTE ]
VanMan2000 said:
This is my favorite Rush tune. You gave it all the respect it deserved. Great job.

[/ QUOTE ]
That avatar is killing me. It's like Mr. Rogers' nerdy younger brother or something. Is that the guy from Drew Carry show and WHo's Line Is It Anyway?

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
who's line is it anyway I think..

This is killer KC. I think you've nailed it. I just watched this on the Rush in Rio DVD. You did it proud.

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Goport, my fellow Rush fanatic. Positive feedback from fellow Rush fans is a golden thing to me.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts