Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I was trying to find a comprehensive list of songs that are redone on some older blues version. Could anyone point me in the right direction. I was able to trace a few songs to their blues roots, but I was wondering if there was a comprehensive list somewhere that anyone knew of.

thanks.
hawk

· Registered
1,123 Posts
well...a lot of blues tunes were *cough* credited to led zep...even though they were written by willie dixon...check out this page to start...

http://www.ieblues.org/articles.html

scroll down to check out how many hit songs were originally written by these artists..a lot of the famous ones are here...for example...

"You Ain't Nothin' But a Hound Dog"-- You thought it was Elvis. Nope, one of the great women of the blues, Big Mama Thornton, performed and recorded that song first. Simply known then as "Hound Dog" Elvis reworked it somewhat.

. You thought it was Led Zeppelin's "I Can't Quit You Baby." Covered note for note from Otis Rush right down to his guitar solo. "Bring It On Home" recorded by harmonica master Sonny Boy Williamson in 1963. "You Need Love" alias the "Lemon Song" originally performed by Muddy Waters. All three of these tunes were written by the great blues song writer, producer, and musician, Willie Dixon. The latter two songs were on the Led Zeppelin II album. If you saw the original singles you would notice that the credits don't match up with the way they read on the second Led Zeppelin album. Mr. Dixon didn't have to fight for his money on this one, his lawyer did. In exchange for their "liberal adaptations" his wallet was fattened in an out of court settlement with Led Zeppelin in 1986.

"Back Door Man"- no, it wasn't the Doors, once again Willie Dixon.
"I Ain't Superstitious"-- Jeff Beck? Hubert Sumlin and Howlin' Wolf performed and recorded this one and again it was written by Willie Dixon. Jeff gave them credit in his liner notes.

· Registered
1,123 Posts
you're right...a lot of songs are attributed to "Anonymous"...then later credited to someone else....

***mental note to self***---legally change my name to Anonymous---i'll be the richest most famous author ever....!!!!...(maniacal laughter a la dr.evil) :jot:

oops-did i just say that out loud...???... :sssh:

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the link

thanx for that article. It does have a couple of songs listed with their original roots. you guys are probably right in that it would be hard to trace the original artists since a lot of blues songs have been handed down through generations and no single artist can be credited for it. I was just curious as to if there is a source somewhere where all of this was well documented as much as possible.

thanx again for your help.
hawk

G

·
"Slick" Willie

True point on "slick" Willie Dixon. Buddy Guy says he ripped a lot of his ideas, made slight changes to them, and called them his own.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.