Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I busted up my trem Lo-TRS on my left hand RG470 and managed to get a Takeuchi TRS-101 (Floyd Rose licenced) to replace it.

I am guessing these are fairly generic and no major routing will be required.

A couple of things concern me though.

1. The existing pivot posts on the current trem appear to be leaning forward - I am obviously going to replace them with the new ones but what is the best way to repair the damage to the wood?

2. Setting intonation - this looks like a real pig of a job are there any easy ways to do this?

Many thanks.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
You can also use an appropriate size dowel rod and wood glue it in the hole. Use a rag with warm water to wipe away any excess glue, once set, redrill for the insert. Bondo over time can shrink, crack and break down. It will work, but over time it will resize itself. As far as the intonation there is no easy way. Try to get your saddles close to where the old ones were and go from there.
If you run a lil tighter trem (more tension on the trem springs) it can help prevent the lean problem with the posts in the future.
Keith
VGB

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brilliant cheers guys. VGB My only problem is I had a major distaster which caused 3 of the saddles to come loose on my old trem so I really have nothing to compare the new trem to. I am not looking forward to doing the intonation at all ;)

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the trem and the design is a little different. The clamp alan screws are situated at the back as opposed to the top on my old trem. I need it routed for a bit more clearance and since that is the case i think I am going to go for the complete overhaul and do what you suggest with the dowelling VGB. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
goport do you still have your lo trs? as I'm after a trem arm I can't see what difference a left hand or a right hand trem arm would make?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts