Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only done this 2wice but was wondering if I'm restringing my guitar correctly. I take off the strings and clean the fretboard with something like pledge to remove the grime built up over the past few month. Then I proceed to pull a sring up past the nutand and place 2 or 3 fingers perpendicular to the fretboad with the string arched over the top of thefingers. I pull the string thru the hole in the tuning peg, bend a sharp right angleand feed the end of the sring under the top of the string. Then I wind until there is some tightness. Do the same for the remaining 5 strings and then tune from low e to high e. Is this right? Is there a more precise way to do it?

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
It sounds like you got your bases covered. Make sure after you give a few winds on the tuning peg that you pull on each string to stretch it out. Pinch the string right at the bridge, then move up the length of the string while pulling up on it to stretch it. If you have a Floyd type bridge, you may have to stretch them several times after you have locked the nut. If that doesn;t make sense to you, then keep doing what you are doing :thumb: BE SURE TO WASH YOUR HANDS BEFORE RUNNING YOUR FINGERS ALONG THE STRINGS FOR STRETCHING!!!! Otherwise you will get dirt and oils from your hands onto the fresh strings.:icon_nono

1 - 2 of 2 Posts