Return To Forever
Dramaten
Stockholm Jazzdays
Stockholm, Sweden
September 17, 1972
FM

A TooleMan/Goody Speed/Pitch-adjusted Remaster + Reconstruction

Original lineage:

FM > tape > CD-R > Sound Forge > FLAC (268 mb)

Recorded by: ?
Transferred by: Boneroller
Remastered by: TheTooleMan (smt), July, 2004 >

Goody's additional lineage:
Burned to audio disc > EAC (Transfer to WAV; extraction log provided) > iZotope RX 8 Advanced (Phase adjustment; EQ 'match', track 4 only; Wow and Flutter reduced, track 4 only;
hum and hiss reduced, track 4) > Audition (Pitch bender, various amounts; Adjust levels; Align channels; clicks removed or reduced) >
TLH (FLAC Level 8; Align sector boundaries; .ffp) > foobar2000 (tags)

For this reconstruction - Track 4 lineage - via glasnostrd19 (THANKS!):
Unknown FM recording > ? > Maxell UD 90 minute trade cassette (no dolby?) >
tascam 112 (dolby off) > soundforge (16 bit/ 44.1 khz wav) > flac 8 (sb's aligned)

Chick Corea - Fender Rhodes and Acoustic Piano
Joe Farrell - Flute and Soprano Saxophone
Stanley Clarke - Acoustic Bass
Airto Moreira - Drums

01 Band intro by Chick 0:55
02 Spain 11:58
03 Children's Song 2:33
04 500 Miles High 14:31
05 Noon Song > 11:49
06 Matrix 16:51
07 Radio Announcer 0:51
--------------------------------
Runtime: 59:28

From TooleMan's Notes:
Great (early edition) Return To Forever set without Flora Purim. Nice audio, with a bit of hiss and FM noise remaining after remastering. There was some hum in my source recording which was also eliminated (or reduced.) The source would appear to be first or second generation from the FM broadcast.

To which, Goody would like to add:
For some odd reason, which I can only guess was due to time restrictions, '500 Miles High' was edited out of this particular broadcast, necessitating a need for me to reinsert it here. Quite fortunately there was a different recording available of what must have been the complete original broadcast, provided for us by good friend 'glasnostrd19'. It sounds quite a bit different than the other tracks as it doesn't have the broader frequency response of those, but we beggars can't be choosers - suffice it to say it is quite listenable... As the intro to 'Noon Song' was also in that alternate edition and was left out of the TooleMan source, I also grabbed that short bit and reinserted it here to complete the package.

The speed/pitch of the sources of these these tracks was fast/sharp. The bulk of the tracks were between approx. 28-37 cents sharp. '500 Miles High' from the alternate source was approx. 61 cents sharp. This has all been corrected for you here.

Many thanks as always go to ethiessen1 as well, who has graced this new edition with a new set of cover art.

May 14, 2021

·
Premium Member
1,935 Posts
Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts