Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did the music for this a coupla months ago and then tried to sing it myself :icon_redf It didn't work! :irk: It's a tough one cos Phil Lynott is quite a low range and this backing track is a tone and a half below that. I asked Roy if he fancied a go and he said yeah. I think he has made this his own song. I can hear a bit of early Coverdale and some Chris Cornell in there!

Thanks Roy...song finished 3 months after started!
:thumb:

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Brilliant!!!!

Wah, I loved your playing on this track last time and it sounds even better this time - very pure and honest leads. Quite brilliant really. Roy you are a fucking class act mate. I can't get over how confident and assured your vocals are.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Goport said:
Brilliant!!!!

Wah, I loved your playing on this track last time and it sounds even better this time - very pure and honest leads. Quite brilliant really. Roy you are a fucking class act mate. I can't get over how confident and assured your vocals are.
Thanx!

I had my doubts on this one, but I'm glad you think I did okay.
What an environment to sing in though!!! Chris is amazing, and the whole track is pretty damn beautiful on its own without vocals, a wonderful vibe and great, tight playing!

I love it!

Roy.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
The backing track is awesome. That's some powerful and soulful solo you played Wahwah (Chris)! I'm not specifically familiar with this song. Is the solo modeled close to the original? Seems like there was a guy named Scott that played lead guitar for Thin Lizzy, but my memory is cloudy.

Roy, you're going to be in high demand around here - you've got some killer pipes.

Excellent collab, time to commit this to vinyl!!

·
Registered
529 Posts
ksdb said:
The backing track is awesome. That's some powerful and soulful solo you played Wahwah (Chris)! I'm not specifically familiar with this song. Is the solo modeled close to the original? Seems like there was a guy named Scott that played lead guitar for Thin Lizzy, but my memory is cloudy.

Roy, you're going to be in high demand around here - you've got some killer pipes.

A great tune for sure!

I'm glad I got to sing on it.

And anyone who doesn't get teary-eyed listening to that guitar, is missing a soul!

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ksdb said:

Thanks guys. Ksdb...Lizzy is just the most guitarist motivated band of ALL time. So many legends have played in that band-some you'll have heard of; others may coma as a shock.

Eric Bell was the guitarist who started it off and 'Whiskey In The Jar' is his legacy. Then there was Brian Robertson (crazy Scot) and Scott Gorham (laid back American). They did the seminal version of this song on 'Live and Dangerous' possibly one of the greatest live albums of all time. Then Phil Lynott hooked up with an old friend from Ireland who had been in Skid Row...Gary Moore. Also there was Snowy White and (you may not believe) Midge Ure of Ultravox fame (anyone remember 'Vienna'). Finally Lizzy kicked into the late 80's with Mr John Sykes who went on to Whitesnake and Blue Murder. Thats quite some guitar line-up ya gotta admit!

I pretty much covered the 'Live and Dangerous' solo's as they are my favorite. I know this thread won't get as many hits as Lizzy ain't a popular band anymore but, ask Jon Bon Jovi or Slash and they'll tell you, these guys were what got them started.

Thanks for listening and Roy...you OWNED this one mate. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
This is killer stuff, guys!!! :woot: The vocals and guitar work is just sooooo soulful!!! :bowdown: Gr8 song!!! :icon_thum

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I know this thread won't get as many hits as Lizzy ain't a popular band anymore
Chris how wrong is that?

Thin Lizzy are one of THE best bands, doesnt matter if theyr not popular, they produced some class material over the years/line ups, the younger guys in the forum may not really know Thin Lizzy but its sort of required listening & learning material (as ya said about bon jovi etc...)

I'm sure if Phil was still here they'd still be going strong, just look at all the old bands, theyr still going!, btw ill b going to hammersmith to see priest & scorpions in march, aint seen those for years.

anyways

This song is class dude :)
both of you rocked on this :)
a keeper for sure!!
solos are close to faithful (off the top of my head ;))

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks SLoB...kind words but it won't get the traffic that newer bands will get. You can't force this stuff down people's throats! :) I saw Thin Lizzy at The Astoria about 2 years ago with John Sykes singing and they were great. Every song is a crowd pleaser and there is so much great material. I had a smile a mile wide on my face whenever Gorham and Sykes blasted a twin lead out and 'Roisin Dubh' was superb.

Thanks for listening mate. :thumb:

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
this is very impressive you guys , roy again fantastic vocals !

and wah i think what impresses me about you the most (apart from the soaring leads) is the way you put songs together , like wiht the layla cover you left things open when they needed to be left open and full when they needed to be full with out over cluttering (something i'm very guilty of) ..

i've never really listened to thin lizzy before . .i think it's a band i'll be listening to more in the future after hearing this wonderful tune :thumb:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
wahwah said:
ask Jon Bon Jovi or Slash and they'll tell you, these guys were what got them started.
Metallica credits them too!

This ain't no cover, but the real thing as it was meant to be performed! Just lovely guys!

I was surprise to hear Midge Ure was in the lineup for a while! Yea, I remember Vienna, The Voice and Rage in Eden (Actually I blame bands like Ultravox and Japan for making me put aside the guitar for many years for the synth). I really loved the Jailbreak/Scott Gorham line up back in the mid 70's. Scott had that sound of cutting diamonds. The 70's were the best.:ball:

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Stiglar said:
this is very impressive you guys , roy again fantastic vocals !

and wah i think what impresses me about you the most (apart from the soaring leads) is the way you put songs together , like wiht the layla cover you left things open when they needed to be left open and full when they needed to be full with out over cluttering (something i'm very guilty of) ..

i've never really listened to thin lizzy before . .i think it's a band i'll be listening to more in the future after hearing this wonderful tune :thumb:
Thanks Stig but Bluesy was the man on 'Layla' mate. His sweet slide made whatever you played over it sound great! I definitely left some space in Layla at the end but this was really following what had been done by Robertson and Gorham with a more Gary Moore tone. Check out the 'Live and Dangerous' version from 1976-77...it's beautiful and even tho Sykes and Gary Moore have played it live with Lizzy on recordings, they don't sound as sweet as those early ones.

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
strat78 said:
Metallica credits them too!

This ain't no cover, but the real thing as it was meant to be performed! Just lovely guys!

I was surprise to hear Midge Ure was in the lineup for a while! Yea, I remember Vienna, The Voice and Rage in Eden (Actually I blame bands like Ultravox and Japan for making me put aside the guitar for many years for the synth). I really loved the Jailbreak/Scott Gorham line up back in the mid 70's. Scott had that sound of cutting diamonds. The 70's were the best.:ball:
Yeah, Robertson and Gorham had a great tone and Robertson's wahwah work on Jailbreak, Bad Reputation, Jailbreak and Johnny The Fox is awesome. Have any of you heard Pat Travers doing 'Statesbro Blues' on 'Makin' Magic'? That was Brian Robertson guesting with him...and Nicko McBrain on drums. I want the 70's back meself! :ball:

·
Valhalla is coming !!!!!
2,388 Posts
Dam this sounds so proffesional , everything from the guitar tones and playing to the overall sonic mix , vocals really cut the mustard ..... great stuff:rock:

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Wow, this was great stuff! Maybe the best post I've heard here since layla :thumb:
Also I think there are a lot of people on here who like the older band like thin lizzy and so on. At least I hope so :)

Anyway. Awesome work on guitars, vocals and production!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts