3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Short Takes
5/24/81
Civic Center - Providence, Ri
9/30/77
Sports Arena - San Diego, Ca
Source: Aud

Another rare MP show, and a great one at that! The boys are having fun this night, and it shows. This set has an impromptu performance of "Wipe Out" prior to "Limelight," and also features Geddy emphasizing the New York verse of "The Camera Eye," much to the crowd’s delight. Sound quality is not as good as the Chicago show, but still pretty darn good. All the instruments are well resolved, with a good EQ. There is a bit of distortion, but this is still a great show! Highly recommended.

This is one of those very rare gems that makes you glad to be a Rush collector. The sound on this one is phenomenal for the age of this tape. Unfortunately, only the fist 30 minutes is captured. About halfway through Xanadu, the sound speeds up dramatically, as if the tape got tangled up around the capstan of the recorder. (Hey taper didn’t you bring extra tapes?!?!?!) Nonetheless, this is one you definitely want to get your hands on.

The Camera Eye 12:25
YYZ / Drum Solo 8:53
Broons Bane 1:43
Trees 4:43
Xanadu 13:14
Spirit of Radio 5:42
Bastille Day 5:38
Lakeside Park 4:59
By-tor and the Snow Dog 4:48
Xanadu 7:57

·
Premium Member
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
They play 'Wipeout' prior to 'Limelight'? How come neither tune is listed?
Because although Limelight was played the taper had issues that evening.
"Unfortunately, only the fist 30 minutes is captured. About halfway through Xanadu, the sound speeds up dramatically, as if the tape got tangled up around the capstan of the recorder."

I've posted this version (Short Takes, the last four tracks are not even from this '81 date/show.) to add to the completion of the DR series which I've posted here:

I suspect this recording which I've posted prior might have Wipeout(?) (although I don't hear it either at the end of Freewill or at the beginning of Limelight and it is not listed there either, so who knows?

I also checked a 3rd version I have entitled "Providence, RI" and Wipeout does not seem to be there either, maybe it is located elsewhere in the recording as the reviewer has it incorrectly located.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts