Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Khaos posted the brilliant BT today I knew I would have to have a go
This is by far my favourite Rush track. the clarity and production is superb on the original and my attempts probably don't do it any justice.

I was a little shocked to find out I had been playing it very wrong for many years so I had to relearn it as I recorded it. The result isn't too bad though. There are a few mistakes in here but it is closer than I could have hoped. The solo tone is a bit off as is the solo but at least I managed an Alex type run in there - the nearest I will ever come to shredding

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
Oh man, Goport, this is great. I love your tone during the heavy parts. Sweet and crunchy. There are many parts where you can easily forget you are listening to a cover (except that Geddy's screeching banshee vocals are obviously not there). I don't know the technique required to play as fast as you get in the solo section, but you can tell that your playing style has been influenced by Alex because you were able to sound a lot like him during the lead section.

Those crashing chords as you come out of the solo section sound just like the album. Great production throughout this whole recording. This was quite an accomplishment. I personally would feel mighty proud if I could say that this was my recording. Nice job man. Looking forward to the next one.

Sweet BT, Khaos

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you KC
I was sure you would like this.

The first part of the solo is horrible to be honest and the second part is just play as fast as you can with no regard for the key
I hate to say it but this is a classic Alex trick and it can be heard on much of his early work.

I am proud of this one because I really didn't know how to play it - I thought I did but I was wrong. Since I have recorded it I have checked out some tabs and had a couple of "D'OH!" moments, but that is the way these things go.

The beauty this site is the fact that you get backing tracks. I never even considered recording a rush song before I found this site and now I have done YYZ, Jacobs Ladder, The Trees, La Villa Strangiato and A Farewell To Kings. Ironically this just about covers my favourite period of Rush. AFTK is the coming of age album for me. From then on everything up to and including Moving Pictures is perfect. IMHO everything before is gearing up to to it (2112 is good but hemispheres is better to me) and everything since has been not quite as compulsive for me. I stopped buying Rush CD after presto. that said I was pretty naughty lately and downloaded Rush in Rio. These guys still rock!! And now I am buying the DVD. (although Vapor Trails sounded pretty duff to me).

And I hate to disappoint you but I might even try a Dylan number next LOL

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
I'm in awe
I would never attempt that in a month of Sundays. Some stuff has always seemed to sacred to sit and work out for fear I'll understand it when I just want to listen to it! Dream Theater is the same...I could never do it justice so why bother?! Your 4th paragraph above could have been written by me, such was the influence AFTK's had on me also. You did a wonderful job mate

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL - you could nail this in 5 minutes. But like you say some stuff is sacred and AFTK is the rush holy grail in terms of production and musicianship.

This has to be the nicest post I have had. Thank you. Oh yeah, I voted for you on the MP3 of the month BTW. My comment still stands

·
Jeff McDonald
3,684 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Goport said:
The beauty this site is the fact that you get backing tracks. I never even considered recording a rush song before I found this site and now I have done YYZ, Jacobs Ladder, The Trees, La Villa Strangiato and A Farewell To Kings.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is exactly my feeling as well. I have been able to learn and record modest, but well enough versions of some songs I thought would only ever exist in my daydreams. This site has caused me to learn more songs and make better recordings than I ever imagined before finding G101. It has motivated me enough to make me decide to buy a new computer and hardware/software so that I can start making more professional sounding recordings like this one.

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
Love this tune...but a mofo to try and sing and play at the same time!!! One day...far in the future..I want to release my version of this...would not be any better though...it's just a fun tune to play. Got that overdubbed second guitar in there!! Sounds so true to the cover!!! Excellent job GP!!!
You did fantastic my friend!! A real treat to hear.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
This was awesome!!
Killa job Goport!!

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the kind words and taking the time to check this recording out

Khaos and Skydog - thank you both for doing these bts!

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks very much everyone, praise indeed (and a sign too
)

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks sgstd - I am more than happy with this track

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.