Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
I like the earlier rush albums like A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres. These are best for clarity and quirky time signatures and songs. but if I had to list the studio albums in order of preference just for my listening pleasure ...

A Farewell to Kings
Hemispheres
Moving Pictures
Permanent Waves
Signals
Grace Under Pressure
Power Windows
FLy By Night
Hold Your Fire
Presto
Caress of Steel
Roll the Bones
Counterparts
Rush
Test For Echo
Vapor Trails

It changes regularly but this is pretty much my preference at the moment - I have yet to buy feedback.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I've been into Rush for about a year...I found them quite hard to get into at first. That said, I am totally possesed with the albums I do have and I listen to them all the time. Lifeson is an extraordinary player, great chords and sense of rhythm.

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
A lot of people think Dream Theater sound like Rush. They cover enough Rush tracks

·
Scandinavian noise maker!
2,767 Posts
Dunno Rush...hehe what stone did you sleep under

Ah as the other people already have pointed out quite a few great Rush stuff, I'll just leave it like that.
Rush is awesome....Neil is an awesome drummer.....those tracks alone are great for ones sense of fun and odd timesignatures...
But man they are an old band!!

G

·
RUSH cannot be catagorized. Hehe... I know I'm old. I bought the first LP (Self titled, "RUSH"), when I was in high school. Before this LP, I was playing KISS cover tunes, MONTROSE, and LED ZEPPLIN. As soon as I listened to the RUSH LP, I added it to my daily guitar grind. It was the first LP that I learned to play beginning to end, note-for-note. The second LP (note-for-note) would have been 2112. It was fun to play against also. John Rutsey played drums on the first LP and was not as flashy as Neil Peart, but the first LP is still my favorite. It was ROCK SOLID!

·
Registered
141 Posts
For a major cross section of thier music check out the "Rush in Rio" dvd. It is three hours of true Rush bliss. They are by far one of the most inovative bands in the world. BTW they just happen to have probably the best rock drummer in the world. The one, The only, Neil Peart.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Fly By Night is what really turned me on to them when I was around 9 years old. Right around then was when I started snooping in my Dad's record collection... and it has scarred me for life! LOL!

Have to agree with wbeacham on the Rush in Rio, either the DVD or the CD's. They are a great way to get a full scope of the band, and in my opinion, seeing a band live is the best way to discover them.

However, there seems like there was some contriversy to the audio mixes on the Rush in Rio package. I think It does sound different than the other Rush live mixes, but in a decent sound system in your car or a good surround sound system in your home it really rocks. The Rush in Rio DVD's and CD's are definately a great value. Hours of great music!

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
ahhh peart is god isn't he. I cannot think of a drummer with a cleaner style or a better technique. The rush in rio drum solo is a real show stopper. The guy is so unbelievable to watch. someone said flash but there really isn't anything flash about him. he is very quiet and dignified.

I think this says it best .. http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_drummers.html

1 - 20 of 30 Posts