Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the best, but lesser known bands from Canada, Saga was a very capable prog band that started in the late 70s. From album to album they would have a couple of songs that were numbered according to the chapters in some ambitious sci-fi concept. This song was one of the first videos I ever saw on MTV (around 1982). It's a long song and my guitar work gets kind of sloppy toward the end. :notme:

·
Ear Candy Distributor
10,268 Posts
God, you pulled off a tough one here. Ian Crichton is one of the guitar world's best kept secrets...the guy is a genius. Well done on this one cos this is a tough call. Excellent work. For anyone who hasn't heard the guy I'd have to say listen to 'Intermission' for one of the best solo's ever recorded.

Great work mate. :thumb:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I remember these guys. They had a video on MTV back in th early 80's called "On The Loose" that got a considerable amount of play. Then, they released another video called "Wind Him Up" that didn't get quite the same amount of airplay, and that was the last I heard of them. They were really good. Good band and good singer.

Now, this song I'm almost certain I've heard before, as well.......good job on it.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the many nice comments. "On the Loose" is a great song and I thought about doing it, but I don't think my voice would work as well on it. Wahwah, that's great that you're familiar with Ian Crichton. I was hoping I wasn't the only one. I need to go back and listen to "Intermission" and check out the solo. "Pitchman" has some super fast stuff on it that I'd like to learn how to play too.

·
Registered
200 Posts
This sounds to be a very difficult song to master, both guitar and vocals. But you came out well.
Hmm, the sloppiness you mentioned - I'm sure you could easily get away from it. Maybe by recording this song in smaller pieces.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Karkki, thanks for the comments and suggestions. I actually broke up the last two minutes into segments, recorded them separately and pieced it all together, but to be honest, the skill level required for playing this was beyond me at certain points. There's some tapping that Ian Crichton does that I'm not very good at and few runs that are too fast for me. A good six months of intense practice on these bits might fix it up for me, though. :lol:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I remember the band but I don't recall the song. But this sounds like a very tough on to pull off. You have a nice mix-good & clean and I like your lead tone, are you using the J-Station on this one? Cool Song!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Mach. This one I recorded with a Boss GT-3. I've been going back and forth between the J-Station and the GT-3 lately for recording. The GT-3 seems like it has brighter sound to it, but it can get really noisy. The noise gate (or suppressor) doesn't do much to keep it down, but I do like some of the modeling and effects on this unit. I'm going to try to chain them together for my next project and see what happens.

·
I am a meat popsicle
4,743 Posts
KSDB!!! I love SAGA!! The whole "Heads or Tails" album stayed on my stereo for about 6 months straight!! You kicked ass on this brother!! If those are your vocals, even more awesome!!!! That guitar tone was also amazing!! Would love to hear more! :rock: :thumb:

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Hmmmm....not familiar with Saga, or this song. But based on your post of this, I'm gonna have to check them out!!!:woot: This sounds like a band that I would really like!! Your vocals and guitar work was exlnt, bro!!!:thumb:

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm really glad to see there's a few folks here who remember Saga. I understand they're still active. They put out a lot of good music over the years and I may do another cover or two. Thanks for checking it out you guys.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
this was damn good ksdb, and i know it couldnt of been easy.. i have heard a few of there songs but not this one that i recall.. great playin and vox on this though.. i like your posts you usually always post stuff i havent heard and want to check out after hearing you do it.. keep up the good work

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Appreciate the kind words, GW. I do make an effort to select a few projects out of the mainstream; usually older music that's been forgotten. There's some great stuff out there and I hope you and others get a chance to check out Saga, as well as anything else you're not familiar with that gets posted.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts