Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey VH fans was wanting your input on this.Now i know Sam writes 99% of his stuff.
But what i did not know pure an interview Ed did on a phone when the tour was in Cleveland,Oh. is Dave did little writing on the Dave era VH albums! Now when i look at the albums all 4 are credit with the song writing.My question is did they bring a songwriter in to work with the band and then purchase the songs?Whats your thoughts?

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
In no way shape or form did they bring in a songwriter and purchase those songs. Alot of those Dave era songs were already polished tunes from way back in the club days, so no I don't think they had any outside help. Despite what Ed said in that interview, I've heard him say differently, so you always have to take things that Ed says with a grain of salt. I don't mean to say that he's a liar, but let's just say that telling the truth when it comes to his guitars and music aint his thang. I think Dave had alot of input on those early songs, but alot of the music has that jam session feel to it. You just know that most of those tunes were born in a basement somewhere with Mike, Ed and Al jammin on it for hours.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I think I heard Ed say that he wrote most of the melodies from the old days and Dave just wrote words , where Sam does both now. Maybe that's what you read Chris???

·
Banned
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No.The question arose because this reporter for the local paper did not give a real good review.So Ed called him!But the reporter said in his review that he thought Sam did not sing from the heart on the Roth era songs.Ed disagreed with him and thats when the question arose about Dave writing the songs,and he said Dave wrote very little.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts