Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you guys been following the HUGE thread over at VHfourms (over 23 pages) and at Rotharmy. Seems a radio station in StLouis has a new interview with Sammy, some pretty wild stuff about the end of VH. They are suppose to have it up on the KSHE website later today. Stay tuned......

"KSHE radio in St. Louis just played an interview with Sammy done last week in Cabo.

Among other things, he says that he likes Van Halen, but he likes the Waboritas better. He said he was glad he did the tour, but that Van Halen has now been brought to a conclusion. No plans for VH post tour. He said he was upset that "certain other people" in the band didn't make the commitment to the fans that Sammy did.

Hopefully, KSHE will post this on their website. This was an amazing interview by KSHE's Favazz. I hope they put it up.

But it sounds bad for Van Hagar after these next few shows..."

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Yeah I read some of that, pretty fucking depressing too, but I am taking the approach that I ain't believing it till I hear it with my own ears or it is announced on Sammy's site or the official site.

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
Oh well, even if this is the case we got another tour out of them. They've had a long run as a band overall so I say good for them and thanks for all the great music in either case.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
ericgtr said:
Oh well, even if this is the case we got another tour out of them. They've had a long run as a band overall so I say good for them and thanks for all the great music in either case.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that's true, but damn it I have the VH feva lol, I got to see em live and damn it I want more lol

·
Registered
628 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
TopJimmy78 said:
Yeah I read some of that, pretty fucking depressing too, but I am taking the approach that I ain't believing it till I hear it with my own ears or it is announced on Sammy's site or the official site.

[/ QUOTE ]

TJ, spot on mate.

I for years have heard all sort of crap coming out and it gets bloody depressing to belive it all. Ok, Sammy said he was disappointed with the attitude of some others. SO! I am disappointed with kids who don't hand in homework, but I still work with them. For the sake of those current and future fans (I have 22 in my class), lets remain positive till any official annoucement.

BTW. Why do they keep adding dates?

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
I don't think anybody really knows what is going on with these guys. It only seems that these rumors start up when they go on break, and now with Sam making these comments, I just dont get the logic here. I can only think that this would boost ticket sales for these dates they keep adding. People will think that this will be the last chance to see them and rush out and buy tickets. That's just my theory though. I really have no clue.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I live right across the river from STL and am familiar with K-SHE and Sammys relationship. He's usually pretty up front about things to the guys there.
I didn't personally hear the interview, but its normally a reliable source.
VGB

·
BRAVO TIME
3,143 Posts
so....if this is true.who will be the next singer, or is this it?

·
Registered
628 Posts
I from time to time pop into another forum. It is mainly dedciated to Van Halen. www.vhstrungout.com

The owner of this forum is "connected" some what and has been very accurate with his summations of these rumours in the past. How he is connected is not clear BUT his track record is impeccable. If there is any truth into what has been stated on the radio station then this gentleman will know.
I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
89 Posts
This is horrible news. I can't believe this until i hear it. I just hope it isn't the end. I was really pumped about the idea of a new album. Oh well we just all have to wait.

G

·
I read through that whole thread. I'd like to post over there, but everyone's so hostile anymore... I'm afraid to get bashed for having a thought.

This may be a little far-fetched, but something I thought of when all this interview shit came to light. Have you noticed how Sammy keeps saying this stuff that the brothers would NEVER deal with... and we keep thinking it's bad news.... and we keep crapping our pants...

Why have the brothers not come down on Sam for saying this stuff? Why does everything still appear to be ok? My guess is that the brothers know exactly what Sammy is gonna pull. Sucka hit the nail on the head... all this negative media can only boost tickets sales.

The guys could have all been joking about how everything gets twisted, or tickets sales, or how everyone expects the same break up result as the first time... Ed and Sam could very well just be screwing with everyone. Those who already have their tickets will be at the shows regardless... the thought of this being the last tour EVER could only spark further interest.

As I said, far fetched... but would you put it past VH??? I didn't think so.

In either case, I sat very close to the greatest rock and roll band ever on two separate nights this tour... each one of those nights was a dream come true, and no matter what the future holds, I thank VH for 30 years of the rockinest audio onslaught I could ever hope to behold

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
There won't be either. The DJ will not put up the interview until after the tour, but we'll see if that even happens.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ya know what Sucka, you're right. The Links have been a little hostile lately, even from the "good guys"

But considering they played 2 shows since this interview occurred, I'd say all is fine. Just becuz Sam may have been mad on Monday doesn't mean he's still mad and quitting VH.

They may become more of "business partners" than friends, other than Sam & Mike, but as long as they keep touring and putting out music, I could give a rat's ass if they like each other off stage.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Here's the transcript of the interview guys. After reading it, I'm actually kinda wondering what all the fuss has been about at the Links:

Friend of mine e-mailed me this, it's posted elsewhere (he didn't have the source). Supposedly some of this was cut from what got aired. Sammy got nervious because under contract he's not allowed to say anyting "derogatory" about Van Halen untill the tour is done..

--------------------
KSHE: So how are things in camp Van Halen these days? The tour is still going strong.

Sammy: You know, this tour is something I'm really glad we could do for the fans. There was so much work that went into this, you know- before it went public. It's been surreal being on stage again with these guys again.

KSHE: So how are things looking for the future? Is the band going to put out a new CD?

Sammy: The future is really up in the air. We made it clear that there was no long term commitment going into this. You know I have a lot going on right now. I'm in the process of turning Cabo into a franchise. I have a growing Tequila company to look after. At this point in my life, what I do on stage is my downtime. It's not work, when it becomes work it starts to cross a line for me, because you know... There's enough work in the real world; too much.

KSHE: Do you see yourself in Van Halen a year from now?

Sammy: If that happens it would great.. It would be great to put out another album and.. and if did I think we could make the [explicit] chart again. But there are many powers working against that right now. It's like, like I said, I've got a whole lot a [explicit] going on, too much to take this on too seriously and the truth is, it's really hard work. When you put out an album you're competing, and when you're going up against (laughs) bands like Nickleback and Velvet Revolver that's not easy to do. Those guys are working their [explicit] off. I'm pround of every Sammy Hagar album. I'm pround of every Van Halen, but my music isn't really trying to compete anymore. It's just a release for me. If you like what I put on a record, great, if not that's fine too.

KSHE: Art is in the eye of the beholder

Sammy: Exactly! But what it takes today is different, you know the music biz isn't the same as it was back in 85 or even 95, man it's a different game today. Creative freedom; I'm not willing to give that up, okay? I've worked too hard for it.

KSHE: So you want creative freedom and you want to have fun doing it, but do you think that will happen inside Van Halen?

Sammy: I'd rather just leave that one. Man I love these guys like brothers, ok. We're back at that level. But brothers can fight and argue it out. I don't think all of that needs to be public (laughs).

KSHE: There has been a few, strange stories about Eddie. I heard he's calling people who write negative reviews and making threats. What do you make of all that?

Sammy: Eddie is... Eddie today isn't the same guy I toured with on Balance with ten years ago. He's gone though a lot. I don't judge anybody man, only God can judge you know, but when you screw up, you don't have to apologize to the audience and go threatening journalist.

KSHE: Sounds a bit like a control freak.

Sammy: Well, you said it (laughs)

KSHE: Do you think that's just a phase for him? Is it creating friction for the band.

Sammy: Everyone in the band is evolving with this tour differently. Some nights it feels like 1985 all over again, some nights unfortunately it feels more like 1995, but it's not. It's here, it's now. All I can tell you is how I'm evolving and this tour is... It's something I needed to do.
Now we have closure.

KSHE: That doesn't sound very promising.

Sammy: I hope the fans can appreciate this tour for what it has been. Van Halen was always an "in the moment" kind of band. If we all walk off that stage for the last time this year and that's it, it would have been worth it. I wouldn't change anything.

KSHE: What if the band decided to go with another singer? Any bad blood?

Sammy: If I leave Van Halen for whatever reason, the bad blood is all under the bridge at this point. If they want to try for singer number four, all the power to them. I wish them the best actually.

G

·
I saw that the other day... it's no goddamn different than anything else we've been hearing. Anyone else remember the interview where someone asked Alex and Sam, "How long will this reunion last?"... Sammy answered, "It'll go on for another 2 hours and 15 minutes... we got a show tonight." and Al and him laughed it up.

What's different about that compared to this? They're just not saying anything about the future... think everyone would be used to that by now.

There's only ONE way to know when VH is done for good... and that's when they come out and say "we're done for good." Even then you can't be sure

·
Registered
21 Posts
Jesus H Christ, THAT resulted in 50 page thread at the Links

WTF is wrong with people? Maybe his tone was different, I dunno, but the words are no different than what Sam has said all year. All he is saying is that he is glad he did this tour, becuz now he has no regrets, and if it ends, it ends.

G

·
[ QUOTE ]
ericjt said:
Jesus H Christ, THAT resulted in 50 page thread at the Links

WTF is wrong with people?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that pretty much sums up any logical person's thoughts. I was expecting big, earth shaking stuff from what that DJ doof had to say. We all should have known better

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.