Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

Sammy's Solo spot in 1986? Did he do one?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ericjt 
#1 ·
Sammy\'s Solo spot in 1986? Did he do one?

I was sitting back over the weekend watching LWAN and it came to me.

Why did Sammy never do a solo, to my knowledge, on this tour?

What is everybody's thoughts on this?

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Sammy\'s Solo spot in 1986? Did he do one?

Well the solo spot he didn't start doing till the Monsters Of Rock/OU812 tour, basicly from my understanding Ed talked him into doin the solo spot, plus the songs he does do in the solo spot he didn't write and record till his 1987 I Never Said Goodbye album

#3 ·

Thanks TJ.
I had a feeling you (or plenty of other Mods) would know this.
Is this album, Never Said Goodbye, the one Ed played bass on?

#4 ·

Yes Eddie played bass on INSG, and also, played one "mystery" guitar part. Neither he nor Sammy have said which one though.

#5 ·

On 5150 Tour, Sammy didn't sing a solo, but after ATBL, he & Ed would do a guitar "duel" where they trade off licks (the end credits of LWAN show this, but live it was a little longer)

Officially, Eddie played bass on INSG although he did some guitar. Originally, VH was going to record the follow up to 5150 and release it as "Sammy Hagar" on Geffen (If you remember, Sam owed thsi album to Geffen as part of the contract that allowed him to join VH). Warner Bros, freaked out at this idea and demanded Ed, Mike & Al not participate and the compromise was that Ed produced & played bass. He was not :allowed" to play guitar. Supposedly, Mike & Al added bg vocals and Ed wrote some guitar parts, which had to go uncredited also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.