Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, What a good show!! He was at the House Of Blues here in Chicago. This is the 3rd time I have seen him and it was definately the best. He has grown and is less cocky on stage. You could tell he was letting the songs take frontstage instead of the young gun syndrom. The band is new and has a second gtr player now. The kid is good. He is only 21 so i call him a kid. :) As for the new songs, i think they outshined his old and the audience really got into them. Kenny's singing has improved from the album and was much stronger. The other thing is he played a black Les Paul for 2 songs with a marshall Plexi. The other guitar player had a Randall head and a Fuchs (?) head on a marshall 4x12. Noah Hunt the original singer still sings the old stuff and would play an Epiphone LP thru a Vetta combo. I think it was for show cause you couldnt hear him and he's not a guitar player. Anyway if you get the chance to go i would recommend seeing the band. Good show and worth the 28 bucks. :bannana_g

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Sounds cool sweeps. I was just reading an article on him in GW magazine earlier today. I'm not sure if he's coming to my area, but I might check him out if he does. He's gotta get the long hair going again though. The dude looks like friggin Johnny Lang now! LOL KWS is a solid player though, and I'm sure he was worth the price of admission.

I'm going to move this to the artists room..moving now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I caught the KWS show in Nov. when it came through the D.C. area. It was in a smallish (<1000 people) club with standing room right up to the stage. I agree it was a great show, Kenny's playing was excellent and it was the perfect venue.

This seems to be a band in transistion. Noah only sings a couple of songs on the new CD and there is definitely more of a rock flavor to it (remindes me of Lenny Kravitz) compared to his previous blues-rock ventures. It seemed a little uncomfortable to me when they were playing the new songs. Noah didn't really have a place when Kenny was singing, so instead of leaving the stage, he put on a guitar (was using a Line 6 amp when I saw them) and played along. The result was a 3 guitar wall of sound that looked like Lynyrd Skynyrd. In fact, at the end of one of these songs they broke into a Freebird-style 3 guitar jam.

FWIW, I think Noah has a much better voice than Kenny, but ya got to give him credit for trying to expand his talents.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Where are the good small clubs in DC? Last fall I was walking down the street in Georgetown and thought I heard Stanley Jordan playing in a Thai place. We stopped in and listened to this kid, he was incredible! There were only 2 other people in the place.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There are a lot of them, most of which I don't know anything about, but only see as I drive by.

The two that I like the best, which get fairly big name acts such as KWS are the 9:30 club (missed seeing Jeff Beck there about 2-3 yrs ago, but I've seen him twice before so I'll survive) and the Birchmere in Alexandria. Their websites are www.930.com and www.birchmere.com and both list upcoming shows.

I've gotten so that I won't even go to stadium type shows anymore. They're just too big and impersonal. If I want to see someone play on a jumbo-tron, I'll stay home and watch a DVD.

There are hundreds of small clubs showcasing local talent like the one you experienced. They can be jems to find, but with my current age/family situation, I don't find myself out doing bar crawls and finding them anymore.

Another useful site is www.pollstar.com and do a search by city. It'll give you more than you know what to do with. Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.