Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was researching online for the best tubes available, and its down to either some SED "Winged-C" 6L6GC's or some JJ Electronics 6L6GC's. Anyone tried both and which one is better? Their prices are about the same, and the SED's are the ones made in St. Petersburg. The JJ's I was thinking about getting from eurotubes via Bob. HELP HERE PLEASE!!!!! :dunno:

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
I can't really help.....but I did have a modded 5150II and ran through 2 sets of JJ's in it and it sounded sweet! I did get a bad tube (after about 2 weeks) from Bob one time and he replaced it NP!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sed!!!!!

Ok. Thanx Dudes! I didn't really know that much about SED or JJ but since I hear good things about both, I'll probably get the SED's first, since they have a dealer really close to me here in Florida, but after a while Ill get some JJ's from Bob, too. I like that Marshall-y sound but with bigger bass and more mids. And since I am in love with having that darkness in my sound. As I have said before, my 5150 is stock except for the GT 12AX7 in V1 in the pre-amp. I also changed around the other tubes in the pre and power amps until it sounded amazing.

The Ruby tubes seem like a good alternative but I haven't heard that much about them...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would highly suggest replacing the preamp tubes to the JJ's. I use a mix of JJ's and EH in the V2 and V3 position. The power tubes won't help as much (unless you crank it or use a power attenuator) as the preamp tubes will. 5150's are basically all preamp. Trust me. I'd get a hold of Bob at Eurotubes, and order complete set that he has listed. Don't get the high gain, just the regular swap. You'll probably buy me a steak for telling you. :thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.