Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Setting up my Floyd II.. help!!!

After changing the springs on my Kramer Striker300st/floyd rose II, it got real good. I also oiled the moving parts of the saddles to make them slide easier. (had'nt been done since the guitar was new in '89!) What im wondering after reading numerous articles concerning floyd setup, im still wondering if the trem can be set up so that its raised from the body? What i mean is can i mount it so that the rear end of the trem is in "mid-air". Baaad english........!!
What i want to do is to use the trem both ways. Up & down..
And is this what the rest of the world knows as a "doublelocking trem"?
:icon_doh: !!!

·
MOON RULES!
450 Posts
I think having the trem up mid air is a bad idea.. your talkin about some major tension.. doesnt have to be perfectly level.. maybe up just a tad is ok. where ya can still go up with it if ya like...but everyone is diff.. personally. i dont recommend that.. can it be done? sure.. but your gonna have to wound ya strings pretty tight and run the risk of breakin strings more often

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im no tech, but would'nt the stringtension get lower, and the springtension get higher if i raise the trem. To raise it i will have to unscrew the screws holding the springs.. Or do you mean that when i pull the trem-arm the tension of the strings will get higher? (bare with me. please..)

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
Up and down is called a "Floating Trem" and it really isn't much different than the flush setup. Sure it takes a little time to setup becuase of the tension, but it can be done. Ask Mickey G ;) We did his last night in the Chat room :thumb:

If you read my article at the top of this forum, it should answer many questions. I have played both, and I recentlybuilt a strat with a floating trem. Ideally, you uwould want to route a cavity for more clearnace, but it can be done without as long as you are careful. Let me know if you have any questions, and read the article at the top of this forum about Floyd Roses :thumb:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx guys!! When no one else comes thru...
I have allready set up the floyd with a gap of maybe 3mm, and it stays in tune just fine. And as long as the intonation wont go bonkers, i think ill try and raise it a little bit more. A tip other people with "old-floyd" setup problems may find useful;
When i finally took off my floyd-unit i discovered that the screws holding the saddles (the six ones), had been tightened so hard over the years, that the fairly soft metal off the saddle had been squeezed together. This causing the tip of the screws to start digging into the body underneath.
And as some of you may have read in may earlyer posts, i had serious problems getting the guitar to stay in tune, and this was the major issue..
The solution was to drill small holes where the screws met the body, just enough to give the tiny screw-tip room to move in, (Doesnt show when the floyd is mounted..) and now i can practically rape the trem whitout anything going anywhere!
Would'nt have figured out shit if it werent for you here at G101...

("when you know nothing about the inside of your guitar, pick it apart...!):icon_thum

1 - 6 of 6 Posts