Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, with the new ep of ours being ready Tuesday nite, we've been wondering whether to try to sell it, for a small amount of money or just give it away at our gigs instead. What do you think and why?

I'm with the give it away idea, but the rest of the band want to sell it! I think it'd be better publicity for us overall, giving more people a chance to hear it. I also thought if i were at a random band's gig, i probably wouldnt buy their disc unless they were really awesome i guess...

Thanks for your views if you care to share!!

Cheers

Kev

·
David Gilmour's 2nd
1,776 Posts
Well if you think your good enough I'd sell it for a small amount. You ain't playing for free you know. If anything at least a few bucks or something:icon_thum

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
3-5 dollars ain't much of anything. If you are good enough then you will sell some. If not then giving them away won't help much. People willing to buy them are more likely to play them. If you just hand them out to everyone you are probably just throwing away at least half. On the other hand, by selling them you might be loosing one or two listeners.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Also, just from a PR standpoint, when you give away cd's it seems really amatuer, unprofessional and very desperate, if you sell things with confidence, people think you are the real deal! Anybody who likes you guys won't mind shellin out a couple bucks...those that don't, wouldn't listen to the free CD anyways. You might lose 1 or 2 people, but you are better off that way IMO.

·
Registered
733 Posts
i think i would just give it away...if you guys are just starting out...it will help get your name out there more.
plus you know how cheap people are these days... :lol:

·
Yankees Suck!
574 Posts
If it's 1 or 2 songs, then I'd probably give it away. If it's a full album (at least 7 or 8 songs), then I'd sell it for around $5. If they like what they hear at the show, they'll probably shell out the small amount of cash for it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SteveS235 said:
If it's 1 or 2 songs, then I'd probably give it away. If it's a full album (at least 7 or 8 songs), then I'd sell it for around $5. If they like what they hear at the show, they'll probably shell out the small amount of cash for it.
Thanks for the replies guys!!!

Its 5 songs btw :icon_thum

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
Sell it !

I agree giving it away , kinda makes you look desperate and amateurish , if they like your music enough after the gig they won't mind spending 3-5 bucks on a cd !

It's not even really the money it's the principal .. your a performer .. your doing your job you should get payed for your performance and your product and entertainment that you give them!

·
excess to requirements
7,118 Posts
both. Give it away to your mates but also sell it at gigs, if people like you they will buy it. in fact get some merchandise too. We got tshirts made up a few times and they REALLY sold well.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I would try this approach... give away 2 or 3 at a show (depending on how many people show up of course) Make them work for it.. do a scream contest etc.. whatever the club owner will let you get away with. For the rest tell them you have a. a few that you sell for 3-5 bucks after the show.. or make them available for sale on your website and tell them they can order them from your site.

Try and put a different spin on the way you give them away, then the rest do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts