Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here’s something i’d like to have cleared up. I’m a suck up for shredness. Anything fast is worth a listen to me. Now, I think at this point i’ve heard my fair share of the shredders out there, and I keep wondering; who’s the absolutely utterly fastest freaking guitarplayer out there?!? I know the question is quite old, but noone ever seems to have come up with a proper answer (partly, of course, due to the fact the new shredders seem to pop up all the time playing way faster than their predecessors).

Anyway, I keep a kind of research going, so that every time I hear someone play fast runs at an even speed for at least a few seconds of a song, I try to measure the speed if possible. My criteria for a credible measurement are as follows: I need a lick played in consecutive 16th, 32nd, 16th triplet- or 32nd triplet notes, that lasts for at least 3 seconds and I need a measurement of the bpm count of the song.

The math trick is quite simple: I measure beats per minute of the song and multiply that number with the number of notes played per beat. So if the dude is playing straight 16th notes (4 notes per beat) at 198 bpm, his amount of notes per minute (if he kept going for that long) would be 4 x 198 = 792. Divide that by 60 to get the amount of notes per second and you have exactly 13,2 notes per second. Simple as that!! (same calculation goes for 16th triplets, number of notes per beat being 6 instead of 4)

In the time i’ve been researching i’ve stumbled upon some really absurd claims about various guitarists going at it at impossible speeds, here are a few examples:

Guiness World Of Records from a few years back (not quite sure which issue) stated that the swedish guitarist Markus Paus had played 28000 (it’s not a typo; 2 8 0 0 0 !!!!!) notes in 60 seconds. A little math tells us that this is 466,67 notes per second!! Quite impressive even for a dude from Sweden :D (I’ve heard the guy with his band "Mr. Cucumber", and he’s definitely fast, but as far as I’m concerned not a whole lot faster than a lot of other shredders and a lot sloppier!)

Rusty Cooley is said by many to be the fastest there is. You can check him going at it on his 8-string guitar on his website
www.rustycooley.com Someone in a forum elsewhere on a different site claimed that he would easily go over 30 notes per second. (If you think of it in terms of the little piece of math from before that’s the same as playing 16th triplets at 300 bpm or straight 16th’s at 450 bpm!)

The fastest I’ve been able to measure so far is George Bellas. In one of the lesson examples on his website
www.georgebellas.com he plays 16th triplets at 175 bpm = 17,5 notes per second.

Well, all this said I know it’s a pretty silly thing to try and "research" and pretty nerdy too! I mean, it’s virtually impossible to measure guys like Rusty Cooley, Francesco Fareri and Michael Angelo simply because they play so fast you can’t distinguish the notes they’re playing (at least I can't).

The reason I bring this up is because there are so many damn fast, cool shredders on this site, and I’m thinking maybe you have the info I’m looking for: Who’s the absolutely utterly fastest freaking guitarplayer out there?!? -Or maybe you just had some of the same thoughts that I had.

Btw I don’t mean to start another "Emotion vs. Ability" thread, I’m just asking the question for the fun of it beacuse I love shredding no matter the tastelessness!! :D Hope you find this silly the funny way and not stupid the boring way. :toothless

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
LOL

I must admit even though it's really not my kinda music and i'd never listen to it for a long period of time , it's always interesting checking out those kinds of players for me just to see how far they can go .. i'd be interested in seeing who's the fastest ..

i checked out that georgebellas guys tutorials and his "improvisation" that he did was all scales and straight arpeggios played blindingly fast ! ... i thought that was kinda funny ...

but still i'm always up for looking out for super fast players just to see how nutty they are !

·
Registered
198 Posts
Rusty is pretty fast, I heard of another guy that was fast... I think he was fast... Sean Lane?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yeah, I say Shawn Lane is way up there...Check out his instructional video "Power Solos"( I think that's what it's called)...Blinding speed!!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Also check out Stephen Ross, Ritchie Kotzen, Michael Angelo, Chris Impelliteri, Jason Becker, Paul Gilbert, Tony MacAlpine and Michael Romeo. Personally, I think it's pretty close between Shawn Lane and Michael Angelo as far as the speed goes. When I hear those guys let loose, they are so fast I can't even comprehend what the hell they are doing.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So cool to see all these replies!!!

Stiglar: That's exactly what I mean! It's so funny to watch these guys totally tearing up their fretboards without ever raising an eyebrow!! :lol:

mab8485: That's a really good point! I think, whenever I hear something really fast, the player will always be able to crank it up a notch, say maybe about 5 bpm, and still be pretty dead on on every note! But as you pointed out, who knows...?

mondola: I was actually able to do that with my old recording equipment; I could slow everything down to half the speed of the recording, but DAMMIT!! - I sold it!!! :ball:

And yea, sorry for not mentioning the late great Shawn Lane in the first place, he is definitely one of the fastest I've heard too!!

Btw, I was thinking maybe it would make more sense (not that any of this makes sense at all) to divide it into categories like fastest sweeper, fastest picker, fastest tapper etc. etc.

For the record, Paul Gilbert is the fastest alternate picker I've been able to measure speed wise. I have this really sampler cd where he plays a silly little song called "I understand completely" where he plays straight 32nd notes at 133 bpm!! :icon_eek:
-That's 17,73 notes per second!!!!! Damn... That's faster than the Bellas thing I mentioned earlier... :scratch:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
-Oh yeah, and that's done on a steel string acoustic. :wtf:

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Danny Danzi said:
Also check out Stephen Ross, Ritchie Kotzen, Michael Angelo, Chris Impelliteri, Jason Becker, Paul Gilbert, Tony MacAlpine and Michael Romeo. Personally, I think it's pretty close between Shawn Lane and Michael Angelo as far as the speed goes. When I hear those guys let loose, they are so fast I can't even comprehend what the hell they are doing.
I've heard you kick in the ass a time or two Dan. your no slow poke yourself.
VB

·
Crazy Admin
4,016 Posts
if you want to slow down the recordings you can get a plugin for winamp that does it .. prolly won't be as good as your equipment was but itdoes the job

it's called pacemaker and i think if yuo search for it on the winamp site you should be able to get it quite easily ..

·
Captain DB... Savvy ?
3,523 Posts
lol this is a prety funny thread really .. its interesting though . i'd probably have to say Jason Becker . but in all honesty my favourite shred styled player is Danny Danzi lol . Melodic shred is my cup of tea . and Danzi does it with style :rock: all Hail Danzi lol :icon_thum

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
evilpenguin said:
For the record, Paul Gilbert is the fastest alternate picker I've been able to measure speed wise. I have this really sampler cd where he plays a silly little song called "I understand completely" where he plays straight 32nd notes at 133 bpm!! :icon_eek:
-That's 17,73 notes per second!!!!! Damn... That's faster than the Bellas thing I mentioned earlier... :scratch:
haha, i love that song. Definitely one of my favourite shred songs.

·
Captain DB... Savvy ?
3,523 Posts
this is a little odd ... from my understanding its not humanly possible to go much faster than about 30 notes per second ... think about it .. it takes too much time for the strings to resettle and other such niggles ... hmmm .. 450 notes per second or w.e itwas is complete horse shit lol , im sorry but it is .. its not humanly possible to exceed much more than 30 ... come on Danzi .. im right aint i ? btw Danzi plays 480 notes per second :) .. LOL just kiddin

·
Registered
225 Posts
dannyboy said:
this is a little odd ... from my understanding its not humanly possible to go much faster than about 30 notes per second ... think about it .. it takes too much time for the strings to resettle and other such niggles ... hmmm .. 450 notes per second or w.e itwas is complete horse shit lol , im sorry but it is .. its not humanly possible to exceed much more than 30 ... come on Danzi .. im right aint i ? btw Danzi plays 480 notes per second :) .. LOL just kiddin
I'm really not sure how that can seriously be measured correctly without some sort of device that would evenly track it. When people play that fast, some of the notes are not even audible and you sometimes pick up the ghost note effect. Like half a pick strike or a note that isn't really there. Ever hear a smpte time code audio signal? That's about 17 notes per second realistically. I've never heard a guitarist play something that sounded as fast as a smpte time code signal. So in my professional opinion, I'd not believe anyone can do over 15 to be honest. If so, I'd need to see documented proof and the machine they used to measure this....because we are human, what you think you are counting isn't really correct. Smpte is a generated time code to be precise. Listen to it sometime and tell me you've heard a guitarist play as fast as that. Picture putting a bicycle upside-down and spinning the front tire as hard and as fast as you could. Place a stick in the spokes and you have smtpe time code. No one plays that fast. LOL!!

Dan, I'm really not sure how many I can play per second, but I've always challenged myself to play what the Gods were playing that was considered light speed. I've never had a problem keeping up with any of them speed wise, and when I'd A/B me vs. them in an audio editor playing the same thing, I could nearly tell a difference....and I would say I'm not close to 30 notes per sec. I've not done that in a long time though, so it's safe to say I'm probably more like 8 notes per sec now. LOL!

·
Captain DB... Savvy ?
3,523 Posts
lmao .. couldnt you just play a big sweep though ? with like .. 15 notes in it .. up then down in a second .. ?

·
Captain DB... Savvy ?
3,523 Posts
yeah man . ive heard you do a monster sweep in about that time man . no sweat dude . you are The Danzi after all :) :lol:

·
Registered
180 Posts
I always thought John McLaughlin or Al Di Meola were some of the fastest guitar players around.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.