Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a chopped & slightly restructured version of Testament's "Sins of Omission" off of their Practice What You Preach cd.
I shortened it and took some liberties with the main vocal themes & stuff, but the main body of it is pretty much the same. I also did my own thing for most of the solo, while trying my best to take cues from the original Alex Skolnick solo. Alex is one of my favs from that era, so "back in the day", I used to spend plenty of time noodling along with his stuff.
I also tacked on a short little rideout-chunk-riff after the solo to fade out on, rather than go back into another verse like the original does...mainly just a time saving mod there.

The file is also a little lower sound quality than some of my others, had to encode it down a bit to fit it in my attachments area, without deleting anything else.

Thanks for listening once again! LOL

Don

**3/14/05 Due to file storage limits...I had to delete this mp3..if you want to hear it, email me or something and I can send it to ya**

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys!
The rhythm tones on this one came from my J-Station. Just a dry Rectifier setting, doubled tracked & panned pretty hard L/R. The verse/chorus themes were done with the J-Station "J Solo" setting & some reverb. The main solo was done with my GNX1 using the Hotrod amp sim and British 4x12 speaker sim....also a bit of verb and 180ms mono delay.

I was really happy with the overall sound on this tune & I've tried doing other tunes with this same setup...but for some odd reason I've never gotten the same results as this one. :icon_frow

Bums me out, cause I don't know what the difference is...I musta unknowingly tweaked something along the line though! LOL

Thanks again,
Don

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys!
Yeah Testament may not have ever been a ground breaking type a band....but I've always dug their tunes. Our old band used to play alot of stuff from their The Legacy, New Order and Practice What You Preach cds.
Skolnick, Friedman and Becker were my absolute fav players from that time period....along with Holt and Hunolt from Exodus and the dudes from Forbidden whose names elude me at the moment.
I'm gonna hafta get some more cover together from that era.

Thanks again,
Don

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.