Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get my hands on a nice Slash Les Paul. I know there are a lot of scams out there, so does anyone know were i can info on the guitars so i don't get burned. Also, can anyone tell me why there's two brands: Gibson and Epiphone?

Thanks.

·
Banned
7,011 Posts
Epiphone is a company acquired by Gibson some time ago. Gibson is American made, and Epiphone is Asian made. Very expensive, less expensive respectively. HOWEVER, with the quality the Epiphones deliver nowadays, you get an excellent guitar for the money. Here is my LP which is an EPI, and a beautiful looking and playing instrument! Check out my little boom box and you will hear most of my recordings were done with this Epi.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
The biggest differences between Gibsons and its overseas counterpart Epiphone is the country of assembly. And the quality of the hardware and pickups.They both use wood native to north america and many components that originate in the US.
Gibson bought out Epiphone of NY and moved them to Kalamazoo Michigan and started producing both in the same plant with the same materials. The only differences were price and the inlaid logo.

They have almost always offered the same models under both brand names .
Eventually due to costs and bottom line concerns Gibson moved the Epiphone plant overseas to increase production at lower costs.

Like all manufacturers they have dabbled in markets of all prices from $99.00 to whatever people would spend. Usually half ruining a reputation at the cost of making money. Gibson has always kept quality in the upper models of the Epiphone line.

They offered a Slash model when he formed Snakepit in both brands.
The pickups were based on Alnico Magnet 57 PAF's to get close to his signature tone. The body was figured with the signature snake in a relief type carving.
I have personally played and sold one a couple years ago. It was a remarkable players instrument with great tone and tons of sustain that is natural to the configuration of the LP's

If you need more info I can dig around some and see what I find.
VB

·
Registered
733 Posts
...in other words, dont waste your money on a gibson, buy an epiphone. gibson is a name...for collectors....thats all. an epiphone les paul will do just as good. as for getting slash tone, just get the pickups you need installed.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I wouldnt call buying a Gibson a waste of money. Its a choice, thats why they make both. Slash models are still available and can be picked up for a reasonable price (Epiphone $400.00) The alnico 57 Paf's can be had also. but usually bring a premium price for the Gibsons, Duncan also makes one too (under 89 bucks most places) .

Gibsons will hold their value in the long run and some will appreciate on the market. Current and recent Epiphones will go down to about 25%-50% of their list price and hold there.

Its like any other guitar brand. play them all and see what you like better, and always buy the best you can AFFORD. If your going to lay out good money for something why not buy something that holds its value rather than take a beating on it down the road when you trade it in or sell it?

As for it being a waste of money. its yours to spend how you wish.

Thanks EJ for posting the thread referal good info there.
VB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts