Guitars101 - Guitar Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This tune is a bit over a year old or so (fall of '03).
It was kinda my first foray into messing with some exotic sounding scales & what not....I'm still a total scale-illiterate....but I can fake my way around somewhat. LOL

The high pitched "SnakeCharmer's flute" sound is just an octave effect on my GNX1...I found that by setting octave higher than normal and utilizing some quick choppy/fluttery bends & stuff, it gave the guitar a fairly flute-like feel. It kinda sounds like a whammy bar, but I don't actually have a whammy on my Dean Avalanche 7 string, so it's just done with quick little 1/4 & 1/2 steps bends.

The second section of the tune is what I'd refer to as my David Chastain section, I guess. The tones and feel of it are heavily influenced by some of his early work from the late 80's (Instrumental Variations/Elegant Seduction).

As I mentioned it was recorded a good while back and on my old recording software (El' cheapo Quartz Audio...$29 online! LOL)...so the sound quality is a tad bit ragged...but I don't have that setup anymore...so there's not much I can do to remix or alter it at all...but hopefully some of ya will get a kick outta it anyway! LOL

Thanks for listening! :dance:
Don

**Edit**
Due to file storage limits...I had to delete this mp3..if you want to hear it, you can find it on my SoundClick site on the "Music" page:
http://www.soundclick.com/donmadison

·
Registered
12 Posts
Feels like I'm on a Camel in the desert galloping towards a heated battle:thumbup: Could be a soundtrack to something, cool stuff!
Keep it up man..

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
Sheesh....your chops are just incredible, Don!!!:jam: You mention Chastain ....I knew him back in the mid to late '70's. We both played in cover bands(not together) in Cincinnati, Ohio. I purchased an old Marshall 100 watt head from him and the lead singer for their band left to join our band!!!:lol: Ahhh...the good old days!!!:drunk:

·
Da Blooze Guy
5,854 Posts
I don't know, I was expecting something a little heavy sounding :notme: seriously, great stuff, it does sound like it should be a soundtrack to something, and the change of pace in the middle is great.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Don,

This is a wonderful tune with lots of eastern influence in it. It has an exotic flavor and even has a semi jazzy (Steely Dan) feel right at the end with the last two harmonized chords. The harmony Quintuplets you start with at around :25 are killer...the tone on those has that blistering metal quality that has to be heard to be appreciated.

Nice job!

Kev

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hey again!

You haven't disappointed me yet! Keep it up... love your tunes

1 - 13 of 13 Posts